Pages

Welcome to the KingZoo and Funny Farm, where we learn to live, laugh, and love together. Here you'll find snippets of life in our zoo, parenting tips we've learned along the way, reflections on shining God's light in this world, passions in the realm of orphan care, and our journey as parents of a visually impaired child with sensory processing disorder. Have fun!

Thursday, May 16, 2013

You can step out, too

I am so thankful for the many kind comments and encouraging words from all of you.  I am humbled.  But I am also a bit uncomfortable. I don't see myself as all of those things, amazing, a hero, full of faith, having no fear.  Because I'm not the first three and I do have fear.

Maybe you think those things because we were crazy enough to step out of the boat; to look at Christ's face and to follow with childlike (crazy?) faith.  But please don't think that's something for just a few select people.  We are all called to love with a crazy love, to follow a Gospel without holes, and to be radical in our faith.  (Click on each link to find the book that gave me the kick in the pants that I needed, at just the right time in my walk with God)

If you want to be amazed, if you want to see a hero, if you want to see faith without fear, then look to Jesus.  It is His example that led us to where we are today.  Mother Teresa put it so well,

"Stay where you are.  Find your own Calcutta.  Find the sick, the suffering, and the lonely right there where you are - in your own homes and in your own families, in your workplaces and in your schools.  You can find Calcutta all over the world, if you have the eyes to see.  Everywhere, wherever you go, you find people who are unwanted, unloved, uncared for, just rejected by society - completely forgotten, completely left alone."

It has nothing to do with John and Cindy but everything to do with Jesus' commands like this one in Matthew 25:31-40

“When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his glorious throne.  All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left.


“Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’

“Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink?  When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’

“The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’


So please don't put me on a pedestal.  I am the same as you.  The only difference may be that you haven't taken that first step out of the boat yet.  You can.  If you want to, you will.  Let it be your daily prayer, "God, where is my Calcutta?  To whom do you want me to show love today?  I want to step out of the boat with you.  Where shall we go?"  He will show you.  You will know. He will take your passions, your gifts, and the things in life that bring righteous anger, and you will know that THIS is your Calcutta.  

And you, too, will find joy in the journey, despite the circumstances that are bound to come, because there is joy in taking our eyes off ourselves and keeping them on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith.  As I often have to remind my younger children, It's not about you.  Okay, my older children, too.  Yes, myself, too.

"When you take that first step

Into the unknown
You know that he won't let you go
So what are you waiting for?
What do you have to lose?
Your insecurities try to alter you
You know you're made for more
So don't be afraid to move
Your faith is all it takes and you can
Walk on the water too"
-Walk on the Water by Britt Nicole

It is my prayer that someday, Victor will step out of his own boat, drawing on his testimony of healing and miracles, and that he will find his Calcutta.  This is my prayer for each of my children.  And for each of you.  I do not pray that life will be easy, only that you keep your eyes on Jesus and love the least of these.  It is my prayer that you will be uncomfortable so that others may be comfortable.



Victor is improving at a snail's pace each day.  We'll take it.  Praise God!  

In honor of National Kangaroo Care day yesterday, Victor is now allowed skin-to-skin twice a day.  Actually I think it had more to do with his progress than the celebration but it sounds like a great reason to go out and get some ice cream, don't you think?  Speaking of ice cream, I've had to change my routine.  Since nothing is open on Sundays around here, I am changing my ice cream days from Wednesday and Sunday to Monday and Friday.  I'm giving you a warning since control freaks such as myself don't handle change very well.  This could be bad.  And since the fam sent me Cold Stone gift cards for Mother's Day, well, I just have to use them.

Pray that he gains weight.  They have added more calories to his feeds to help bulk him up.


2 comments:

  1. I have been reading your blogs and been praying for your family. If I lived closer, I would love to help you out with your little girl. Do you live in Chambersburg? Our journey started in 1980 when God spoke to me asking us to be foster parents. We have adopted two special needs children and are raising the daughter of a previous foster child. The verses you have written have been some of my favorites over the years as we have had 20+ children in our home. I really don't think people understand this call unless they have had it on their life and/or responded when Jesus has asked them to give to the least of these by taking them into your home and giving of yourself 24 hours a day.
    I have been told some of the same things you mentioned and told that they could never give the children back once they have come into their home. I have spent many hours, days and months crying and missing children that have left us to go back into the same thing that they were taken out of. It isn't easy but that is what God has called me to do and He will and has been faithful through all the ups and downs. There have been plenty of them through the years and sometimes I have felt that I wanted to give up but then one more comes along and here we go again. When I was 52 my foster daughter had a baby and I tried to teach her to parent but when the baby was 2 1/2 months, we took over her care and she is now 7. Even though we are older and going to retire in a few months, God has been faithful both financially and in every other way. In my heart I would love to go through giving another baby a home but just keeping up with what I have now is difficult enough so I pray for the ones who are doing what I would love to do. I hope that someday you will be back at Roxbury Campmeeting and I will be able to see how far Victor has come. Until then, I will keep on praying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cindy, It does not matter that you do not think you are amazing, a hero, or full of faith but YOU ARE. My guess however is that you are full of fear. Being full of fear yet stepping out and following Jesus's example makes you AMAZING, A HERO, and FULL OF FAITH. I can see Christ. I see him in YOU and John. I see him in your actions, your fears and your joys.

    I pray for your walk and for Victor every night and continually through the day and I know some day you will hear those words that we all aspire to "Well done my good and faithful servant"

    Steve Cowling

    ReplyDelete