Pages

Welcome to the KingZoo and Funny Farm, where we learn to live, laugh, and love together. Here you'll find snippets of life in our zoo, parenting tips we've learned along the way, reflections on shining God's light in this world, passions in the realm of orphan care, and our journey as parents of a visually impaired child with sensory processing disorder. Have fun!

Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Very dark and stormy

It was a dark and stormy night.

Isn't that how all good stories start?  Well, maybe one did.  Once upon a time.

But it was a dark and stormy night.



This is what Utah usually looks like this time of year.  But not last night.  The one night that Katrina and I decided to venture out to a professional soccer game, a game that we didn't care about one iota, and a sport that she enjoyed only as long as her crush on Scott lasted and a sport that I only care about if one of my children is playing.  And even if my child is playing, I will only venture out to watch if the weather is just right.  I'm a fair weather fan.

But I am ahead of myself.  Why would we bother to attend this game in such foul weather, you ask?  The answer to that question began during my flight back to Utah.  After a layover in Phoenix, I boarded the plane with a contingent of black, red, and yellow clad soccer players.  My seat assignment happened to be right between two of them; one silent and the other quite chatty.  As it turned out, they were members of a professional soccer game, on their way to SLC for a game the next night.

Now, my knowledge of professional soccer is quite limited.  I do know that there is a team in Philadelphia called the Union.  Other than that, well, that's all I know.  This particular soccer team doesn't play against the Union, however, and when my new friend asked me how the Union is doing, I, um, well, I had no idea.

But he quickly forgave me and the conversation turned to my reason for going to Utah.  When I shared Victor's story, my soccer-minded friend was quite interested.  He shared his interest in adopting in the future.  I suggested he should find himself a wife first and he agreed.  Matters then turned to the rest of my family.  I showed him pictures (of course, like a good mother) and he was impressed.  I told him that the Good Doctor was a pastor and at this news my friend became very animated.  He told me that he had just been to church with his cousin the past Sunday.  He described the light show, the multi screens, and the pizzazz.  And then he told me that not only did he enjoy what he saw, he was deeply moved by the message.  He said that it was explained so that he could understand.  He planned to search for a church in his own hometown.  You never know what kinds of conversations you're going to have on a plane.

But then he asked if I'd like some free tickets to see his game.  What to say, what to say.  To turn him down would be impolite but going to a soccer game?  For fun? Hmmm?  I know, I'll ask Katrina to join me.  Then I know it'll be fun.  Yes, I'll take them.

Which brings us back to where we started...

It was a dark and stormy night as I headed north to pick up Katrina.  Silly girls, we didn't even think to question whether or not the game would be canceled until we were 5 minutes away.  In my world, all sports would be canceled for inclement weather.  No such luck.  And I guess is was a good thing as we had arrived.

We marched ourselves right up to the ticket window and asked for our tickets.  We were told we'd have to go to a different window.  All the way on the other side of the stadium.  Did I mention that it was raining?  And cold?  And all of my warm clothes are in PA?  Okay, just checking.  We went around to the other side of the stadium and asked the first available person where we could find the ticket window on this side of the building.  He pointed further in the direction we were headed.  I was beginning to think that they were sending us on a wild goose chase, in circles around the building.  We found the ticket window and got in line.  And waited.  The window next to our line opened and we hopped on over there.  The woman played around with her computer and then informed us that it wasn't working, we'd need to go back to the first line.  Oooooo-kay.  Finally, I asked for tickets for Cindy King.  Nope, no tickets for Cindy King.  Really?  Yes, ma'am.  She wanted to know who was giving us the tickets.  Um, my friend from the opposing team?  And his name is?  His name is...I knew his first and middle names but couldn't quite remember the last name so I guessed.  Nope, no tickets under that name.  What? We went to all of this trouble and he forgot to give us tickets?  Just as all hope was lost - Wait, did you say your name is Cindy?  Yes, I did.  Well, I have tickets here for Cindy, No Last Name.  That's me!  Problem solved.  See, we're just on a first name basis, me and my new soccer friend.

We sauntered into the stadium, thankful that the rain had basically stopped at this point.  We asked a very nice man-in-the-know to help us find our seats which just happened to be, yes, all of the way on the other side of the stadium, back where we had started our journey.  We climbed all the steps to the nose bleed section and sat down.  And then everyone got up and left.  We looked at each other?  What's going on?  Did we miss the game?  No worries, it was just intermission.  I mean, halftime.

The second half started and the rain started coming.  In buckets.  But we were safe and (not really) warm under a nice overhang.  Until the wind shifted.  Not fun.  But it was a good game.  I think.  Katrina checked her phone so we'd know how long the half would be.  Just as the game was ending, my new friend's team tied it up.  We looked at each other and it was unanimous, we were not going to stay for a minimum of 2 minutes of overtime.  I guess it's a good thing since my buddy's team lost.

Katrina decided this must mean that Victor is going to be a soccer star in the future.  I guess I'd better start enjoying these games.

Victor had a rough day in the NICU today.  The good news is that this rough day was better than his good days of a few weeks ago.  We're not sure what is going on but he had more desats and bradies than in recent days (only 2 bradies yesterday).  We had some good skin-on-skin time and some not-so-good skin-on-skin time.  But he's wearing clothes and he's so cute so he's forgiven.

They're changing his feeds so that he will receive them every 3 hours instead of every 4.  Each feed will be given over 90 minutes now instead of 2 hours.  Pray that he can tolerate these feeds which are closer to a big-boy schedule than what it's been.  Pray for limited reflux.  Pray for him as he practices sucking and learning to eat on his own.  It's a very slow process.

He weighs 2 lbs. 11 oz.  Pray for weight gain.

He will have an eye test in the near future.  Pray for no sign of retinopathy of prematurity.

Pray that Victor has a great day tomorrow!  Pray against discouragement in me after today.

Pray for all of the kids as they finish up the school year.  Pray for Andrew as he prepares for graduation.

Pray for me as I prepare to go home again this weekend, and then return in a few days.  Pray for the family as they prepare to travel out here on a vacation soon.  Pray for fun, family bonding and unity.



3 comments:

  1. It's too bad that it was windy, rainy and cold! RSL is, in my opinion, the most fun team in the MLS to watch. In regular weather conditions, their style of play can be downright creative and beautiful at times... not the quality of La Liga or Premier League, of course, but the best in MLS week-to-week. And it's pretty cool that you were able to be there for a USOC game. Though it was against a NASL team (not MLS), some of those NASL teams fare well and sometimes beat the MLS teams. Cool in-flight connection, too.

    How's that for soccer "T.M.I." and acronyms? :-)

    We're praying for you all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea what you just said. But I went to a soccer game! And yes, I have heard that RSL is a great team to watch. Even my new buddy admitted that RSL was projected to win.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for sharing :) I look forward to reading about your adventures daily! Prayers for all!

    ReplyDelete