Pages

Welcome to the KingZoo and Funny Farm, where we learn to live, laugh, and love together. Here you'll find snippets of life in our zoo, parenting tips we've learned along the way, reflections on shining God's light in this world, passions in the realm of orphan care, and our journey as parents of a visually impaired child with sensory processing disorder. Have fun!

Friday, May 3, 2013

Redemption

Words to songs have been so meaningful in this journey.  As I woke up this morning I was reminded of  the words that were in my head 7 days ago, words that led to the adoption of Victor.  The words came from the chorus of "Redeemed, How I Love to Proclaim It".

Redeemed, redeeemed,
Redeemed by the blood of the Lamb,
Redeemed, redeemed,
His child, and forever, I am.

Adoption is often described as redemption.  Satan targets the most vulnerable, widows and orphans, and redemption is buying them back.  And it's not just about redeeming the children.  For many of us, it is our desire to also speak truth and love to birth mothers who feel hopelessness and despair.  To say I not only love your child, but I love and honor you as well.

Yesterday in our local news, the story of the day was of a 19 year old high school student who delivered a baby in the school restroom and dumped him in the trash can where he was found later by a janitor.  So many comments focused on the evil of this event and wondering what kind of evil person could do such a thing.  What she did was wrong, yes, but as I looked at her face in the photo, I saw utter hopelessness and despair that started long before she delivered her son.  I saw a young woman who has so little support and encouragement around her that she did the only thing she felt she could do.  There wasn't one person who showed unconditional love and acceptance to her?  Giving her love and life and hope?  Walking with her through this very difficult time?

This is what we are called to do.  We can't sit around and talk about how horrible this young woman is, or how horrible her act.  We need to symbolically put down the sign, whatever the picket sign might be in the situation.  We need to put down the sign and do something.  Love someone.  Give help where help is needed.  This is crazy love.  But it's the kind of love to which we are called.  If we say we love God and Jesus is our example, then we  need to love the least of these with the same kind of crazy love He modeled.  It's messy.  Some won't understand.  But to redeem a life?  That's why we're here.

"Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world.  For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.'"  Matthew 25: 34-36

And our little redeemed one?  Another phone call to the nurse last night brought more good news, Victor is tolerating 6 ml feedings (up from 2 ml!).  Pray that his body continues to tolerate this and that his heart and lungs and other organ systems can keep up.  Pray for no setbacks which are so common in the roller coaster of preemie life.  Pray for no infection.

But also pray for yourself and your day today.  Who did God put in your life, to love unconditionally, to bring hope and life?  Don't just sit there!  Do something!  We aren't all called to redeem through adoption, but we are all called to bring redemption to our own sphere of influence.




1 comment:

  1. Cindy, thank you for this post. You have reminded me why I am different from other "counselors" in having a Christian perspective on the fall of man. When I saw this child's picture on the web page, you are correct. It speaks a thousand words. How she much have felt! My heart aches. People don't seem to understand the brokenness within people. Maybe because they don't understand the brokenness within themselves, or haven't acknowledged it. My heart is so heavy....what a tragedy.

    ReplyDelete