Pages

Welcome to the KingZoo and Funny Farm, where we learn to live, laugh, and love together. Here you'll find snippets of life in our zoo, parenting tips we've learned along the way, reflections on shining God's light in this world, passions in the realm of orphan care, and our journey as parents of a visually impaired child with sensory processing disorder. Have fun!

Saturday, June 8, 2013

It's a small world...

A few weeks ago, I was at the scrubbing station, in the middle of my 5 minute arm cleanse, and the desk nurse was photocopying the IDs of a couple wanting to visit the NICU.  As the couple came over to join me at the sinks, the nurse said, "You're all from the same state."

Thinking that just because two people are from the same state, doesn't mean you are going to find any connection with them, I asked where they were from?  "Leola?" they responded, with that kind of questioning tone one uses when you don't expect the other party to have any clue where this obscure place is.  Kind of like how I usually tell people I'm "near Harrisburg" which is more likely to ring a bell than Mechanicsburg.  So of course we were all shocked to find out that we're just an hour or so from each other and both knew of the other's home town.  We chatted a bit.  I found out that they were here to visit their daughter and her family, including a new grandson, the reason for the NICU visit.  They expected him to be here just a day or two and then to be discharged home.

Since their grandson was in a different area of the NICU, and since they had expected to go home so soon, I didn't expect to see them again and I didn't.

Until yesterday.  We met up with each other, again near the scrubbing station, but this time as I was leaving the NICU.  They recognized me first and caught my attention by asking, "The family adopting a little boy?"  Sure enough.  That's me.  Unfortunately, their grandson is still here but they were able to extend their stay.  We chatted some more and I decided to give them a copy of our CD.  The Good Doctor keeps sending me more CDs with every care package so that I'm overflowing with CDs out here.  I gave it to them and told them that we often play in the Lancaster County area, so maybe they'd see us sometime.  They looked at each other and said, "We've heard of you.  And we've seen you, too."    Turns out they're Mennonite (I should have asked right off the bat but I didn't want to be presumptuous) and they have seen us at a Mennonite camp in eastern PA.

As I walked away, I heard the wife say, "And we had to go to Utah to meet up..."

Sing with me now,  It's a small world after all...  It'll be stuck in your head all day.

Victor's weight remains steady at 3 lbs. 6 oz.  Yesterday's nurse called this weight stall after Victor filled his diaper with enough to assume that he might even lose a few pounds at the next weigh-in.  She knew what she was talking about.

The family arrives tonight!  We can't wait!  The NP thinks Victor is being a little more demanding today because he knows he's about to lose his only child status.  Don't worry, Victor, you are going to be smothered with attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment