Pages

Welcome to the KingZoo and Funny Farm, where we learn to live, laugh, and love together. Here you'll find snippets of life in our zoo, parenting tips we've learned along the way, reflections on shining God's light in this world, passions in the realm of orphan care, and our journey as parents of a visually impaired child with sensory processing disorder. Have fun!

Saturday, March 5, 2016

It's a sixth sense


Somehow they know.

Something will happen. Someone will say something. We'll all be laughing. Or crying. Or both.
I'm not exactly sure what gives me away. It might be a change in body position. It might be that my fingers start to type on an imaginary keyboard or maybe it's the look on my face of pure joy.

Then someone will freeze, look right at me and say, "You're not going to write a blog about this, are you?"

And there's no denying it because yeah, that's exactly what I was thinking. Each blog year gets wrapped up in a nice binding and printed and placed on the shelf. Some day you are going to thank me for not only sharing my valuable wisdom with you but also for writing down all those stories you were going to forget. Now you have something to talk about at family reunions for years to come.

Remember that time when...

And really, you can't blame me.

I believe it all started when The Good Doctor (before he was The Good Doctor) first decided that he needed more letters behind his name than me so paid good money to get his first master's degree (yes, I did say "first" and meant every letter). He was taking a class with real-life application.

He came home that evening and as I shared something that had happened while teaching that day, he (tried to) nonchalantly ask, "So, what was that like for you?"

I was on the verge of answering when something gave him away. It might have been a change in body position. It might have been that his fingers started to type on an imaginary keyboard or maybe he had a look of pure joy on his face.

Whatever it was, I knew I was being had. I stopped before the answer left my lips and instead looked him in the eye and asked, "Are you going to write a paper about this?"

Startled that he'd been found out so quickly, he sheepishly admitted that he had been that close to doing just that.

All's fair in love and war, buddy.

5 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. So this is why I was wondering if a certain SO has figured out "the look"?

      Delete
  2. This is great. I really enjoyed your post. My students know my "look" too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have a look but I sure can tell when a blog-worthy event happens :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so clever - your surprise statement - "You're not going to write a blog about this, are you?" They are lucky that you will be recording all of these wonderful memories.

    ReplyDelete