Pages

Welcome to the KingZoo and Funny Farm, where we learn to live, laugh, and love together. Here you'll find snippets of life in our zoo, parenting tips we've learned along the way, reflections on shining God's light in this world, passions in the realm of orphan care, and our journey as parents of a visually impaired child with sensory processing disorder. Have fun!

Friday, March 30, 2012

The book pillow

My seven year old says she doesn't like reading. Personally, I think she only says it because she realizes it's blasphemous to my ears and is looking for a reaction. So, even though it makes me want to shout, stomp, and become a raging lunatic to think that I have a child who doesn't want to read, I pretend not to notice. Because, in truth, she does read. A lot.

So, just in case she really means it, I came up with the Book Pillow. Yeah, it's ugly but I used what I had and she doesn't care.

She was thrilled. Without realizing she was quickly adding to the list on her pillow, she started reading book after book, and asking me to write them down for her. She even decided that the overlap in the back must be a pocket for her current book. Whatever works.

And that's how I got my (possibly) reluctant reader to read.

Do you think this might work for my 15 year old son?

7 comments:

  1. It is a great idea because it motivated her and lets her see what a reader she is. Her Mom is a clever teacher so the 15 year old son's solution will come, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. If it does work for your fifteen year old, let me know, because I will commission you to make them for my sixteen and eighteen year olds. Wondering if I could learn to sew quickly enough, because it would be a fun going away gift for my 23 fourth graders!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, if you do it for J, you might want to change the colors on the pillow....

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an awesome idea! I love your laid back approach to allowing your daughter to identify herself as a reader before you label her. Fantastic! Your header picture is incredible, btw.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This idea is AWESOME! I think I just found my summer project!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea! I may have to borrow that for my first graders, who love to read. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the idea AND I don't think it's ugly. It has charm :)

    ReplyDelete