Pages

Welcome to the KingZoo and Funny Farm, where we learn to live, laugh, and love together. Here you'll find snippets of life in our zoo, parenting tips we've learned along the way, reflections on shining God's light in this world, passions in the realm of orphan care, and our journey as parents of a visually impaired child with sensory processing disorder. Have fun!

Friday, March 9, 2012

Are you my mother?

I recently received this very cute email:

"Hi Mommy!!
When are we going to menchies again??? I've been a good girl!!
lyly, Emma"

I think Emma makes quite a point, don't you?

Only problem is, I don't have a daughter named Emma. Thinking Emma would figure out that she had the wrong mommy, I decided to ignore it. But the next day I found a new letter in my inbox, written in blue and green block letters:

"Hi Mommy!!! How do you like this font??? lyly Emma"

Okay, it's time to take some action. But how to respond? I have no clue who Emma is, where she is, or how she got me mixed up with her mother. There's the slightest possibility she's my niece who is named Emma, but a quick check confirmed the negativity of that guess.

I don't want to scare Emma, or her real mother, so what should I say/do? With the go-ahead from The Good Doctor and my eldest daughter, this is what I sent to poor Emma:

"Dear Emma, I'm so glad you've been a good girl. That is very important. I don't think I'm your mommy and I don't have a Menchies near me but if I were and if I did, I'd be sure to take you. I hope you find your mommy and get to Menchies soon! If you don't find your mommy, let me know. I have seven children and we'd be more than happy to add another to our clan.
Cindy (Someone else's mommy)"

The next day I received a new email, this time from Emma's mom:

"Cindy,
Thank you for your cute response to Emma's emails...she was very embarrassed that she emailed you!! Best of luck to you with your seven children!!
Take care,
Brittany King (Emma's mommy)"

Mission accomplished. Emma has found her mother and all is well. Sure feels good to reunite long-lost relatives. Maybe I've found my calling.

8 comments:

  1. That's funny! Poor Emma when she found out she had the wrong mommy. I'm so glad the real mom wrote back so you could have some closure. This reminds me of messages left on an answering machine from a wrong number. Still laughing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too funny!! I love the corespondence back and forth and can't you just see this concept as a great free-verse mixed up txts/emails/letters kids book, sort of along the lines of "This is Just to Say" by Joyce Sidman?? Good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are right - this is a great story that fell in your lap - thanks for transferring it to ours too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just had to google Menchies while reading this. Apparently we have one in my state but I had no idea what it was. ;) Very clever response you had to this young author and it made for a fun story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a great story ! I love your response !

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your response to Emma! How funny that she found the wrong mommy. She must have been wondering why her mom wasn't responding to her note. Cute slice!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cindy, you are hilarious! I have been making my way through comment-land and have finally read several of your posts. I love this story and your ending. I'll be looking forward to reading more from you.
    MH at booksavors.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete