Pages

Welcome to the KingZoo and Funny Farm, where we learn to live, laugh, and love together. Here you'll find snippets of life in our zoo, parenting tips we've learned along the way, reflections on shining God's light in this world, passions in the realm of orphan care, and our journey as parents of a visually impaired child with sensory processing disorder. Have fun!

Saturday, November 5, 2011

Lessons learned

What I've learned or been reminded of (so far) since Wednesday:

1. Always go to Jesus FIRST. Since the Good Doctor was counseling Wednesday evening, he didn't get my frantic message (okay, messages) about the accident until 3 1/2 hours after it happened. Instead of relying on him for comfort and security, I had no choice but to put my trust where it should always be, anyway. I did eventually call my dad, though. Hey, the Good Doctor had his chance.

2. Jesus was with us. I know that a common Christian counseling therapy is to talk about a stressful or negative situation and then to ask the client, "Where was Jesus in that situation?" There are those who would say that this accident happened because I'm not spiritual enough, or don't pray enough, or have some type of sin in my life (well, duh, who doesn't?). But one of my favorite Bible stories is Mark 6:45 - 52, Jesus walking on the water. What sticks out to me first in this story is the word "made" (NIV) in verse 45; Jesus made the disciples get into the boat and leave before Him. Jesus knew the storm was coming, yet sent His disciples across the water. The pick-up truck stopped on the road in front of me might have surprised me, but it didn't surprise Him. His plans are not meant to harm, but are for His glory.

3. God's grace is so vastly different from the world's. I knew this before but I know it now. I determined to show more grace to my family and to those with whom I come in contact. I thought this would take time but it was an almost immediate transformation in my home.

4. Children need to talk and when I say talk, I mean every detail, over and over again, ad nauseam. Especially when we're in a vehicle. They talk, then I go away and cry and we're all doing better.

5. You really should know the make of your vehicle because a lot of people are going to ask. "Kind of greenish," is not the answer they're looking for.

6. Air bags do not always deploy.

7. Although not recommended by 9 out of 10 pediatricians, or dentists, or anyone in the medical field for that matter, it is a great method of weight reduction. For some folks, it may have the opposite effect, I suppose, but lack of appetite makes for great portion control at meals. Cutting out sweets may have been less traumatic or costly, but you might as well seize the moment.

8. Contrary to my former stereotypes, not all police officers are rude and power hungry. Upper Allen has at least one very nice officer on their patrol. There just may be more of these types out there, but for the sake of not having to find out, I'll just leave it at one. Wait, make that two nice officers in the area; we have a friend in Dillsburg who is a police officer and I'm quite certain he is just as kind at work as he is when not on the job.

9. Five year olds should run countries, head war departments, and work in judicial systems. Soon after arriving home from the accident, HopeAnne ran into the room with a smile on her face and the pronouncement, "Mommy, I forgive you." It might make for some difficult moments in sharing toys between countries and citizens, but at least they know how to forgive freely and quickly.

10. I'm not the only person in this world who has had an accident, in fact I'm fairly fortunate to have made it this far. I've heard many horror stories from sympathizing friends. And contrary to my current opinion, I'm probably not wearing a scarlet letter "A" that everyone but me can see. It just feels that way when you're a rule-following perfectionist who's never had a ticket of any kind and who is usually the one with the long line of cars behind her because she's going exactly the speed limit; the only one who doesn't need to brake when passing a "hidden" police vehicle.

I promise this is the last post about this week. Maybe the kids aren't the only ones who need to talk. Or write.

No comments:

Post a Comment