Pages

Welcome to the KingZoo and Funny Farm, where we learn to live, laugh, and love together. Here you'll find snippets of life in our zoo, parenting tips we've learned along the way, reflections on shining God's light in this world, passions in the realm of orphan care, and our journey as parents of a visually impaired child with sensory processing disorder. Have fun!

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Are you sleeping, are you sleeping?

Mom, are you napping?

What would make you ask that question?

You're in bed in the middle of the day.

Well, son, that is true and you ask an interesting question. Let's look at the definition of napping: verb ( napped , napping )
sleep lightly or briefly, esp. during the day. In light of the definition given, I don't think I was napping.

Why not, Mom?

I was not sleeping lightly. Or even briefly. The only valid point in that whole definition is that it is currently "during the day."

Okay, I was just wondering seeing as you are in bed.

Yes, I am in bed. I came here because I was tired. I turned off all of the lights in the room and closed the shades on the windows. I was settled in for a long winter's nap.

And then someone who shall remain nameless traipsed up and down the hallway in plastic high-heeled dress-up shoes.

And then a few other someones who shall remain nameless decided to have an argument. Right outside of my room. They were, of course, appropriately and loudly shushed by someone else who shall remain nameless.

Then someone who shall remain nameless started singing. Loudly.

Then the formerly fighting someones decided to play a game whereby they were to scare each other. Right outside of my room.

Finally, someone who shall remain nameless came home from school, went to his room, and began to practice the drums. Loudly. For an extended period of time.

I can honestly say that I got up much more alert than when I laid down, even without that elusive nap. My heart is pumping at a much quicker rate and my mind is open and ready to roll.

Someday I will nap but I think that day is a long way off. Until that day, I will write. Thank you, children, for filling this house with your joyful noise.

No comments:

Post a Comment