Pages

Welcome to the KingZoo and Funny Farm, where we learn to live, laugh, and love together. Here you'll find snippets of life in our zoo, parenting tips we've learned along the way, reflections on shining God's light in this world, passions in the realm of orphan care, and our journey as parents of a visually impaired child with sensory processing disorder. Have fun!

Thursday, March 19, 2020

Because...Corona

Well, Mariana will be coming home today. With the five core members who still live in the house, and now three college students coming home, along with Cousin Molly, that brings our total to 9. If anyone else comes, we will be above the President's order to keep all gatherings under ten and will need to begin voting people off. Eden has already made her selection and in a surprising twist of events is not choosing the most likely, offensive member. Instead, and I quote, "I'm voting off Dad because he made us mulch and do yard work yesterday."

In other news, homeschooling has been going well. It brought back a lot of memories as we carried our work outside yesterday and completed schoolwork at the picnic table. Vitamin D and homeschooling have always made a great combination.

We've been working on reading and writing and various OT skills. This candle project with beads was a hit and provided a lot of fine motor work.

And yes, he needs a haircut but since our current options are limited to the King Cuttery or King Clips, and neither of them have great reviews online, we will wait. If it starts to touch his shoulders or goes below his ears on the sides, we'll pull out the scissors. I promise.

I could get used to homeschooling him if this wasn't such terrible timing for me and what I got myself into. I'm not entirely to blame. Who knew the kids would be home all day for weeks on end and that I wouldn't have from 8-2:30 alone anymore?

Church on Sunday was different and looked something like this.

Not really (of course not, everyone knows pastors aren't with their families on Sundays) but Victor and I did listen online together. He had all kinds of interesting comments, mostly because he isn't usually in a service.

He heard the first prayer and wanted to know if he had to pray along.

The second prayer was by the Good Doctor so he yelled, "Daddddddddyyyyyyy!" He asked why Daddy wasn't praying for his eyesight; why Daddy never prays for his eyesight at church, only at home?

By the third prayer, he asked, "We're praying again?"

During worship, I told him that he was hearing Eden on piano. So he tried to communicate with her through the computer, "Eden! Edddeeeeeeennnnnnnn!" Nothin'.

And then something went wrong with the connection and 2,936 questions about why it stopped. Tears. Shouts. Blaming me. I begged for reinforcements. I sent out an online SOS but nothing because...Corona. Alas, I was on my own.

We employed flexible seating to keep him focused. And then the flexible seating caused an injury and, well, that's the way it goes.

I didn't think he was really listening to the sermon because out of the blue he wanted to know if Satan is made of fire. I don't know, Buddy, I'm not the expert. Ask your father. Or one of the pastors on the computer.

But then he did ask a question relative to the sermon, "Mom, do you think I drink the water God gives?" And then to test it out, he took a drink, "Did I just drink it?"

I stepped away for a second and he yelled at me, "Moooooommmmmm, you're missing church." No, I can listen from here but thanks for looking out for my spiritual well-being.

And so, we carry on because...Corona.



But who cares? Introverts unite! Alone. In your own home.

No comments:

Post a Comment