Pages

Welcome to the KingZoo and Funny Farm, where we learn to live, laugh, and love together. Here you'll find snippets of life in our zoo, parenting tips we've learned along the way, reflections on shining God's light in this world, passions in the realm of orphan care, and our journey as parents of a visually impaired child with sensory processing disorder. Have fun!

Thursday, April 20, 2017

A lazy old dog

When he came back to his disciples, he found them sound asleep. He said to Peter, “Can’t you stick it out with me a single hour? Stay alert; be in prayer so you don’t wander into temptation without even knowing you’re in danger. There is a part of you that is eager, ready for anything in God. But there’s another part that’s as lazy as an old dog sleeping by the fire.” Matthew 26: 40 - 41 (The Message)

Ouch. Because Jesus wasn't just talking to the disciples. He was also talking to me.

I want to wake up at 5:00 to pray before Victor is up but some days I just can't get to bed early enough to wake up so early. And when I do pray, I get distracted.  I know I should fast but too often I fail. I give up something for Lent but can't make it all 40 days. It's more of a up-and-down attempt.

So many times during Lent this phrase came to me, "Could you not tarry one hour?" (Obviously my brain is a little older than The Message translation.) I claim my devotion but the reality is that "there's another part that's as lazy as an old dog sleeping by the fire."

I'm allergic to cats. (Stick with me, this is related to the topic, I promise.) My eyes get itchy and watery and my nose starts leaking. When we went to pick up Victor's bunny, the same symptoms started. I chalked it up to the fact that there were about 7 bunnies living in one small room with lots of hay and dust. We brought her home and all gathered around on the floor enjoying and petting our new pet. Soon after we left her alone to regroup and de-stress, my chest tightened and I started to wheeze. Several of the kids mentioned watery eyes and nasal issues.

I panicked with the tight chest and trouble breathing. That's never happened to me before. We can't have that. This bunny is so special to Victor. And God provided everything we needed. I might have even gotten a little upset with God. But then it went away after about an hour.

The next day, the same thing happened after I spent some time with the bunny. This time I was mad. God, You gave me the idea. I thought you blessed it by orchestrating things so beautifully. But after an hour it went away again.

"Could you not tarry one hour?"

I know I need to pray and fast more and to spend more time with you. But I get so hungry and it makes me think about food all day long... (I know that's the point but...)

Okay, God. Tomorrow, on Monday. I'll do it. I'll pray and fast for complete healing from allergies and  a job for Andrew (something else which had been weighing heavily on my mind).

"Stay alert; be in prayer so you don't wander into temptation without even knowing you're in danger. There is a part of you that is eager, ready for anything in God."

Yes, God. I'm ready for anything in you.

And you know what? He didn't have to, but He did heal all of those allergies to the bunny, for me and for others in the family who were struggling with varying forms of allergies. No more tight chest. No more wheezing. No more itchy, watery eyes. He didn't have to and he doesn't every time but this time, He chose to heal. He cares about us and our families and even our pets. And all the glory goes to Him.





No comments:

Post a Comment