Pages

Welcome to the KingZoo and Funny Farm, where we learn to live, laugh, and love together. Here you'll find snippets of life in our zoo, parenting tips we've learned along the way, reflections on shining God's light in this world, passions in the realm of orphan care, and our journey as parents of a visually impaired child with sensory processing disorder. Have fun!

Sunday, June 14, 2015

Sewing

Given free time, as in say, 2 hours during nap time, I figure I have three choices: 1. I can do those things that I have to do 2. I can read or 3. I can sew

There are days when I make the adult choice and I find something to clean or cook or bake or fix or whatever. Some days, however, I just have to make the self-preserving choice and do something for myself.

This school year's nap time project was, of course, Jesse's Jean/T-shirt quilt. The kids know it's coming and express their displeasure at having to wait til their senior year in high school. Until then, they fight over John's which was a gift from his sister back before we were a Mr. and Mrs. Let's just say that one is very loved. I'm pretty certain Jesse saw his jean quilt a time or two in process as there just aren't many hiding places in this house that aren't already occupied by a human being or his/her stuff. Eden and HopeAnne even helped to create a few of the squares adding a new dimension. And since I inherited my mom's quilting rack, we were able to knot this quilt the real way. It's certainly less back-breaking than leaning over the quilt on the floor. It's a lot of work but always a fun project to relive the memories and to see it all come together.

And then I was on a roll.

An apron by request. Have fun baking, guys!

Three doll quilts and pillows.

Two pillows for a college dorm room.


And with a baby shower on the horizon, I decided to try out some bibs I saw on etsy. It might have gotten a little out of hand but those monster bibs were just too much fun. I finally had to stop because I ran out of interfacing. And the jean bibs, well, I do have a lot of jeans. The woman from whom I got the idea said she made them out of her maternity jeans but since The Good Doctor made me get rid of mine a long time ago, I had to dig into one of my bins of jeans. But if anyone is interested, it did sound like a cute idea to repurpose those maternity jeans into bibs for the baby. And I only made one of those bowtie bibs because I could only find one shirt ready for repurposing but it's just so cute I might have to steal some more shirts out of someone's closet.

I think I'm finally really cleaning out those sewing shelves and bins. Now I either need to find someone who will let me share a table at a craft fair or I need to reactivate my etsy account or I'm soon going to have to start cleaning out the finished projects cabinet.


No comments:

Post a Comment