Pages

Welcome to the KingZoo and Funny Farm, where we learn to live, laugh, and love together. Here you'll find snippets of life in our zoo, parenting tips we've learned along the way, reflections on shining God's light in this world, passions in the realm of orphan care, and our journey as parents of a visually impaired child with sensory processing disorder. Have fun!

Friday, October 10, 2014

Round 2

My morning started out with a text from my oldest: 10 years and 1 day ago I was celebrating Eden's birth in an ER. Guess where I decided to celebrate today?

Actually, my morning started out with birthday donuts at 6:45 AM along with 2 very grumpy teenagers. One was more grumpy than the other but I had to remind them that they had been given the choice of whether to wake that early so we could all enjoy the tradition together or wake up later, meaning that Shoun would have to miss out since he was the only one with school in session today. They made the right choice but were definitely second-guessing that choice when the wake up call was a loud, over-excited, you-made-me-wait-a-day-to-celebrate-my-birthday, camp song.


The text came an hour later. My response was that he'd better explain. Fast.

Turns out he wasn't the reason he was in the ER but instead was just fulfilling his RA duties. But 10 years and 1 day ago, he was the reason...


This is one of my favorite pictures from Eden's birth story. When we called my parents to tell them that "the baby" had been born (we were really mean and made them wait til they showed up to find out if it was a girl or boy), their response was, Well, um, we were wondering, does your hospital have an ER?

Andrew had been at a birthday party and was playing dodgeball. His aggressive play caused him to fall backward and land on his elbow. He continued playing so the birthday boy's mom didn't think too much of it until later when Andrew started mentioning that it really hurt. She felt awful and called my parents to pick him up. We should have paid more attention because this was clearly a forewarning into Andrew's future with dodgeball.

John and my dad spent the next few hours going between the ER and maternity. By the time Andrew was discharged from the ER, it was after visiting hours but a very nice nurse who realized that Andrew's tears were not from the physical pain of a broken arm but were instead due to the emotional pain of not getting to see his new sister, agreed to let him in for a quick visit.

10 years and 1 day later we're celebrating Eden's birth and I guess we're also celebrating the fact that it's been 10 years and 1 day and counting since Andrew himself has been a patient in the ER.


No comments:

Post a Comment