Pages

Welcome to the KingZoo and Funny Farm, where we learn to live, laugh, and love together. Here you'll find snippets of life in our zoo, parenting tips we've learned along the way, reflections on shining God's light in this world, passions in the realm of orphan care, and our journey as parents of a visually impaired child with sensory processing disorder. Have fun!

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Creatures at home

"Thank you, God, for all the creatures around this table. Amen."

This is how I used to end my suppertime prayers. Well, almost. This happens to be Jesse's version, first quoted at age 2 years and 10 months. Even then we never knew if it was an accidental misinterpretation or a profound commentary on life. Either way, my version went like this:

"And thank you, God, for all the missionaries and preachers around this table. Amen."

I first heard it on a radio program and thought it would be good to try out at home. I like it. And I think it worked. I see traces of its influence in ways big and small. There were those years when Jesse wanted to be a pilot so he could fly missionaries to remote locations. That was replaced by the desire to be a builder so he could build orphanages. While both dreams have come and gone, it in no way diminishes his calling to be a missionary and preacher to the world in which he lives.

During a church missions celebration several years ago, the kids were given the assignment to go around the display area, asking people several questions. One of the questions was to ask for the person's definition of a missionary. Most people answered that everyone is called to be a missionary as commanded by Jesus in Matt. 28:19, "Therefore, go and make disciples of all the nations." (NLT) One former missionary felt it necessary to tell the children that only certain people can be missionaries. Oh well, he's allowed to have his opinion. It's probably just an issue of semantics, anyway. And the kids got the point regardless.

I know they got it when they tell me I have to pick up yet another public school friend to take to Wednesday night youth group. I know they got it when they are willing to step out of their comfort zone to teach their peers in Sunday school or in a small group. I know they got it when they choose to serve in the preschool or nursery ministry at church. I know they got it when they are willing to take a cut in pay to play a concert for a group that cannot afford to pay, but that would benefit from a concert. I know they got it when they walk around the nursing home visiting with the residents after the concert. I know they got it when they choose to give up freetime to mentor younger children. I know they got it when they are willing to sit with a grieving friend and to show their support at both the viewing and memorial service. I know they got it when not only are they willing to live with less personal space than most of their friends, but they are willing to let that space shrink even further. I know they got it when their hearts break with the things that break God's, and they then act accordingly. I know they got it when they are willing to use their gifts and talents for God's Kingdom now, not waiting until a certain age. I know they got it when they show a servant's heart at home. I know they got it when their lights are shining into the darkness in which they sometimes find themselves.

And I am happy.

Thank you, God, for all the missionaries and preachers who were around this table before they dispersed into their mission fields for the day. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment