Pages

Welcome to the KingZoo and Funny Farm, where we learn to live, laugh, and love together. Here you'll find snippets of life in our zoo, parenting tips we've learned along the way, reflections on shining God's light in this world, passions in the realm of orphan care, and our journey as parents of a visually impaired child with sensory processing disorder. Have fun!

Friday, September 28, 2018

Ask and receive

A week ago, I found myself facing a tough day. I didn't want to do the task that needed to be done that day. I didn't want to face this child with the situation in front of us. I was angry and I was anxious.

I didn't want to be either.

So I took it before the Lord.

The Holy Spirit so gently reminded me that even Jesus didn't want to walk into difficult moments. His up-coming task, was, of course, much more desperate and difficult than mine, but even He begged that circumstances be different, "Father, if you are willing, take this cup from me; yet not my will, but yours be done." (Luke 22:42)

It's okay to ask for our situation to change or to be removed. Jesus did.

But He also set the example for what to do when the answer is no: 

Yet not my will, but yours be done.

And in that conversation I was reminded that to follow Jesus, to be His disciple, means that I must take up my cross daily. (Luke 9:23, Luke 14:26)

Daily.

Everyday.

Ugh.

But He doesn't leave us there.

Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light. (Matthew 11:28-30)

Life is full of burdens, crosses, trials, and troubles. But when Jesus picks up the other side, everything becomes easy and light. The important reminder is that we have to allow Him to pick up the other side. If we insist on striving in our own might, the burden is too much and we falter and fall.

Something else popped out at me that I hadn't noticed before. In re-reading Jesus' prayer in the garden, I found a verse I don't ever remember reading. Just after Jesus asked for a different plan, a different outcome, He immediately surrendered His life to God's sovereign plan, and just after that, the Bible tells us, "An angel from Heaven appeared to Him and strengthened Him."

Ask and you shall receive.

Not, "An angel from Heaven appeared to Him and everything was immediately fine."

An angel appeared and strengthened Him. He asked and He received. We ask and we receive - strength, peace, joy, perseverance, wisdom. If we are willing to honestly ask and truly surrender, we will receive.


No comments:

Post a Comment