Pages

Welcome to the KingZoo and Funny Farm, where we learn to live, laugh, and love together. Here you'll find snippets of life in our zoo, parenting tips we've learned along the way, reflections on shining God's light in this world, passions in the realm of orphan care, and our journey as parents of a visually impaired child with sensory processing disorder. Have fun!

Saturday, November 28, 2015

An oops to tell about

I believe that it is very important that we tell stories to our children, especially first-hand accounts of our growing up or current situation. And not just the acceptable and honorable parts of our history, either. Of course we don't tell all to our 3 year olds, but stories do so much for our children. In a Bible study with parents we recently filled a whole white board with reasons for story-telling with our children. Some of the reasons given were:

-strengthening family identity

-helping children understand the viewpoint or feelings of someone else

-stories teach lessons

-similar stories can help heal

-repeating stories of God's faithfulness helps us to remember, strengthens faith for the future

-our stories show our children that we aren't perfect, either

-sympathizing with a child's current situation by sharing a similar one of our own

So, today, I have a story specifically for HopeAnne. This story is meant to show her that I'm not perfect, either and to sympathize with her by sharing a similar incident that happened to me.

HopeAnne is the lone King in the matinees for the Christmas show this year. My social butterfly is enjoying herself but she came home a little upset one day. It took a little while to get the whole story from her but eventually it came out. Apparently she messed up her line, her daily claim-to-fame, she felt just terrible about it, and one of the other little girls continued to rub it in by asking to take that line in the future since she didn't think Hope could handle it (not like it would be her choice to change it, anyway).  Thankfully several of the adults backstage found HopeAnne crying and told her not to worry about it, that she did the right thing by finishing the scene as if nothing had happened, and that the adults mess up all the time, too. When we talked about it, we decided that a good way to keep from worrying about this happening again was to always say her line one time to herself as soon as she arrived at the theater and again just before the beginning of the scene. There have been no problems since then.

Well, in about an hour I will be driving home to tell HopeAnne my own story of messing up and yup, you just go on as if nothing happened.

The name of the Christmas show is There's No Place Like Home for the Holidays. Several years ago Mariana spent two seasons at Hershey Park in a show titled Home Sweet Home 4 Christmas. Those two years must be embedded in my memory because I can't tell you how many times I've told people that was the name of this year's show. Different theater. Different town. And definitely different show title. Every now and then I help out as House Manager and sometimes that means doing the curtain pitch. The first few weeks I was so worried that I would mess up from the stage and welcome folks to the wrong show. But all went well and I thought my brain had finally switched from Home Sweet Home to There's No Place Like One. I guess not. Today I very enthusiastically welcomed everyone to a combination of the two: Home Sweet Home for the Holidays. Oops.

Well, HopeAnne, looks like I'll be rehearsing my line each time I arrive at the theater and again right before heading up to that stage just like you. Maybe we can practice together. On second thought, that might mean that we combine your line and my little ditty. I don't think it'd be a good idea to welcome folks to the Monster Truck Home for the Savings Bond, do you?


No comments:

Post a Comment