Pages

Welcome to the KingZoo and Funny Farm, where we learn to live, laugh, and love together. Here you'll find snippets of life in our zoo, parenting tips we've learned along the way, reflections on shining God's light in this world, passions in the realm of orphan care, and our journey as parents of a visually impaired child with sensory processing disorder. Have fun!

Wednesday, March 18, 2015

The rock of 40 dollars

It's been a tough 2 months for the King clan. Rough seasons with several of the children, some financial stressors, a horrible respiratory and head cold, back pain flare up from an old injury, having to put our dog to sleep, and now the stomach flu. Mix into that dealing with a special needs child who has behavior and sleep issues along with visual impairments. And of course lack of maternal sleep due to sickness, a blind child, and just general insomnia, and it has felt like we just can't catch a break. At 2AM when HopeAnne started throwing up, all I could do was laugh and declare this latest attack to be "preposterous." And I thought that would be my new word for this season.

Then in Bible study this morning, we talked about Deuteronomy 4:9:

Only be careful, and watch yourselves closely so that you do not forget the things your eyes have seen or let them fade from your heart as long as you live. Teach them to your children and to their children after them.

We talked about how important it is to remember the ways that God has answered our prayers in the past, and to never forget His constant care for us.

It's so easy to laugh at the Israelites who not only knew God's past provision through the oral tradition of Jewish history, but who had seen God's hand at work in their salvation from Egypt, the parting of the sea, walking through on dry ground, and numerous miracles after that. But then in chapter 4 of Deuteronomy, God knows it's necessary to give them a reminder:

Only be careful, and watch yourselves closely so that you do not forget the things your eyes have seen or let them fade from your heart as long as you live. Teach them to your children and to their children after them.

And we're the same way. We so easily forget. We need this reminder, too. I need this reminder.

How do we keep our finite minds from forgetting the works of our infinite yet personal God? For me, it's writing them down. Keeping a list. But not a paper list that can be lost or crumpled, but rather on rocks to display as a constant reminder.

Not long after I left Bible study this morning, someone approached me. "Cindy," he said, "this morning I put some money in my pocket and God told me I would know who it was supposed to be for. And now I know." He handed me the money and left.

How do you adequately show your gratitude in a situation like that? By his act of obedience, he gave our family so much more than a financial gift. He changed my "preposterous" season into one of  hope. He added another rock to our collection of answers to prayer.

God spoke through that gift, clearly telling me that He does see me. He does care about my family. He has never left us. He is always here. I can trust Him.

Sometimes we get to be the giver. Sometimes we need to be the receiver.

No comments:

Post a Comment