Pages

Welcome to the KingZoo and Funny Farm, where we learn to live, laugh, and love together. Here you'll find snippets of life in our zoo, parenting tips we've learned along the way, reflections on shining God's light in this world, passions in the realm of orphan care, and our journey as parents of a visually impaired child with sensory processing disorder. Have fun!

Sunday, February 19, 2012

Giant Bible memory lesson

Sometimes I get these ideas in my head. Sometimes I even get great ideas. Sometimes these ideas never get farther than the brainstorming process in my head. Other times they get started, only to die a quick death. And then there are some ideas that are good ones and that stick around for a while, maybe forever.

My children probably enjoy watching me go through these phases. They ebb and flow; come and go. I can just hear my children as they reminisce about me someday.

"Remember when she went through her rice and beans phase? We had rice and beans once a week. She said she was teaching us about frugality and how the rest of the world lives. I think she was just trying to get out of eating meat. Or attempting to get Eden to expand her culinary horizons beyond yogurt and sandwiches."

"Or the time she went through the hymn phase. We not only had to sing the hymn of the week every night at dinner but we had to learn about the history of the hymn. She said she was passing on our heritage and voices from church history."

"And then there was the time she decided the whole house had to be a giant Bible memory lesson. We had an art project where we had to make an animal sculpture but she didn't stop there. The animal had to be holding a sign with a verse from Proverbs. She said it had to relate to our current lives, ie. no verses about quarreling wives. She put a verse above the door and made the steps into a daily scripture lesson.

And of course there were verses we had to memorize."

I pray that this is an idea that sticks. I love Deuteronomy 6: 4 - 8: Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God, the LORD is one. Love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. Write them on the doorframes of your houses and on your gates.


So look out, Kids! Next plan: Paint the names of God on the basement wall.

No comments:

Post a Comment