Pages

Welcome to the KingZoo and Funny Farm, where we learn to live, laugh, and love together. Here you'll find snippets of life in our zoo, parenting tips we've learned along the way, reflections on shining God's light in this world, passions in the realm of orphan care, and our journey as parents of a visually impaired child with sensory processing disorder. Have fun!

Wednesday, December 5, 2018

Filled with joy

You have made known to me the path of life; 
you will fill me with joy in your presence, 
with eternal pleasures at your right hand. 
Psalm 16:11

I recently had occasion to sit across the table from two different women, at two different times within the same week, discussing our more-difficult-than-the-usual children. If we're honest, any one of us with children could be at either side of those coffee shop tables because the only mothers with perfect children are the ones who are hiding the truth behind a mask.

Each conversation included comments like these:

Your family has had an overwhelming year.

But you look so joyful.

Do you really have a peace about things? Or am I reading your incorrectly?

And the honest answer is that on my good days, yes, I am filled with joy and peace because I have hope. But like everyone else, I have my moments when I am weary and frustrating and feeling anything but hopeful that circumstances will change.

So how do I stay in the first frame of mind? I can only answer for myself but there's only one way for me to remain joyful and that is to abide with Christ.

...you will fill me with joy in your presence...

You will. That's a promise. God has given me a task. As warned, it won't be easy. Satan is out to kill and to steal and to destroy (John 10:10) and Jesus said He was sending us, His lambs, right into the middle of wolf country (Luke 10:3). Nothing easy or safe about that.

...You have made known to me the path of life...

Being rooted in, and connected to, Jesus, we find the path we are to follow. Being rooted in, and connected to, Jesus, we are filled with joy no matter how difficult the journey.

There is no other way. Hope, joy, and peace, are all promised to those who daily answer the door to Jesus, let Him in, sit with Him, receive from Him, and learn from Him.


No comments:

Post a Comment