Pages

Welcome to the KingZoo and Funny Farm, where we learn to live, laugh, and love together. Here you'll find snippets of life in our zoo, parenting tips we've learned along the way, reflections on shining God's light in this world, passions in the realm of orphan care, and our journey as parents of a visually impaired child with sensory processing disorder. Have fun!

Wednesday, May 16, 2018

Shepherding

In early 2000, the Good Doctor and I worked with a local pregnancy center, in their "shepherding program." As a shepherding home, we opened our doors to single mothers-to-be. They lived with us while pregnant and for a few months afterward, until they transitioned to their next home.

The first young mother came to our home when I was pregnant with Isaac. We not only talked about pregnancy and babies together but I taught her to cook (when she came she thought that being able to macaroni and cheese out of a box was the epitome of meal prep) and tried to prepare her for life as a single parent. As we spent more time with her it became apparent that she was suffering from significant mental illness and likely would not be able to parent on her own. In the end, she transitioned to a group home where she could live with her daughter and have more supervision than if she had found her own apartment. She continued to spend time with us on birthdays and holidays. We stayed in touch for several years and know that she did eventually live on her own and had at least two more children. Along the way we lost contact with her.

The second mother, though younger than the first, definitely had a better skill-set for life on her own. I was able to accompany her through delivery and to witness the birth of her son. We have also lost contact with her but last we heard, she was living on her own with her son and successfully attending community college.

I  often wonder about these two women and their children who would be teens themselves now. I pray that they are in communities where they are loved and where their children have come to know the Lord. We never know what seeds we plant or how our lives have impacted another. I recently ran across the beautiful letter that the second mother gave us when she moved out...

"To: John, Cindy, Andrew, Jesse, Mariana, and Isaac -

I appreciate all that you have done for m. You all will be blessed and then some.

Please be careful of who you allow in because this world is getting more and more vicious. Everyone isn't who they claim to be and I would hate to see something ba happen to you guys. Many good things will come your way. Thank you for allowing me to have roof over my head and food to eat. My son will definitely be told about you all when he gets older.

To all the kids:  Be grateful of your parents. They are the best thing that happened to you. You all are very fortunate to have parents who care about others besides themselves. When you get old enough to understand what I'm saying then you too will realize what beautiful people you have in your lives.

Mariana, I know you always wanted a sister. Be patient and you just might get what you wish. If not, you can always call on me. As of right now, your mom is the closest you'll get to a wonderful, caring and trusting sister.

To all the kids: When all else fails, you can always turn to your family and God. You can never go wrong there.

Cindy, Thank you for coming to the hospital with me. If you weren't there, I would have fainted by now. It was a crazy experience, but I got a beautiful son out of it all. Thank you for all the tips.

John, You keep being the great preacher and parent that you are now and you will have all you need. Believe that!

To all the boys, Be good for your mother and father. Always protect your little sister. She is precious to you all. Keep your head in those books and continue to be excellent with the violin.

There aren't enough words for me to say to you all about how much I appreciate what you have done for me."

No comments:

Post a Comment