Pages

Welcome to the KingZoo and Funny Farm, where we learn to live, laugh, and love together. Here you'll find snippets of life in our zoo, parenting tips we've learned along the way, reflections on shining God's light in this world, passions in the realm of orphan care, and our journey as parents of a visually impaired child with sensory processing disorder. Have fun!

Saturday, May 26, 2018

Mother's month

I received the most interesting gifts for Mother's Day this year. In fact, my children were so thoughtful they made it last the whole month. One child gave me an orchestra concert. Well, me and all the other mothers. And anyone else who wanted to spend the day at the Forum for a concert. Another child gifted me with abstract art on the wall and another wrote a heartfelt note (it really was!). And then the best gifts came.

But it really started the day before Mother's Day with a phone conversation.

Me: Well, Andrew, I gotta go now. Enjoy the rest of your weekend.
Andrew: Okay. Hey, did you like your Mother's Day gift?
Me (thinking this was a joke since my kids don't buy me gifts unless the Good Doctor remembers to take them to Wal-mart): Yes, I did. I loved it. It was beautiful. Thanks so much.
Andrew (thinking about the actual item he sent and not realizing I though he was joking): Great!

We said our good-byes and the Good Doctor started asking what I had gotten. Continuing with the joke-that-I-thought-was-but-wasn't I just told him I wasn't telling, it was a secret. This continued for some time until I finally texted Andrew back, "Your father doesn't get our humor. He thinks you really sent me something and he's mad I won't tell him what it is."

My phone immediately rang.

Me: Yes, Andrew?
Andrew: Wait, you didn't get my gift?
Me: Very funny. You didn't send a gift. It was a joke all along.......It was a joke, right?

Turns out the joke was on me. And on him. He really did send a gift. And he paid for expedited shipping so it'd be here on time. Only it wasn't. And there really was a gift-to-be.

And then, a message from one of my daughters-in-law-to-be, "Did you like your potatoes?"

My what?

On Mother's Day, Son#2 told me that his gift for me was going to be a bit late.

Wait, is it the same thing your brother sent me?

*Grin*

Well, this was getting interesting. Turns out each of the oldest really did send me a potato. But not just any potato. A potato with corny puns. Just for me, arriving one-by-one in the weeks after Mother's Day. Handwritten by former teachers sitting around a table in some old warehouse somewhere. Making tons of money. Off of my kids and everyone else who gifted their mothers with potatoes for Mother's Day.
A nicely misspelled potato needs a
nice dish to display it, doesn't it?

But we all ended up getting them for Mother's Month since the company was overwhelmed with too many orders. So Son #1 is getting a free potato as compensation for the potato that was to be on time but wasn't.


It was more fun this way.

But look out, you might be receiving his free potato.


The Good Doctor wanted to cut them up to plant them. But I wasn't sure if each potato that grew would have the whole saying on it or just the word from that section?

Son #2 requested mashed potatoes for dinner. I told him I needed to get some potatoes at the grocery store. He said, no, I should cut up my Mother's Month gifts.

I said, no, never. I'm going to put them in each child's keepsake box. Should be fun in 20 years, yes?

No comments:

Post a Comment