Pages

Welcome to the KingZoo and Funny Farm, where we learn to live, laugh, and love together. Here you'll find snippets of life in our zoo, parenting tips we've learned along the way, reflections on shining God's light in this world, passions in the realm of orphan care, and our journey as parents of a visually impaired child with sensory processing disorder. Have fun!

Monday, December 18, 2017

The guy in the big red suit

It's hard enough to explain Santa to a sighted child but I thought we were handling this okay with Mr. Victor. He knew that it was just some guy in a big red suit. Kind of like we dress up for Halloween.

Then some up-and-coming student teacher in his preschool convinced him that the big guy is real. And apparently she has more wisdom and trust than I.

So he came home from school telling me the big guy is most definitely real. And, to that end, "Mom, where is our chimney?"

I tried to go the realistic route, "If he's such a big guy, how would he ever fit down a chimney?"

Didn't work.

I tried, "Because I'm the mom and I said so."

Didn't work.

So we went to my uncle's house yesterday with great anticipation for the big guy. Although there must have been just the slightest bit of doubt because he did ask me what the big guy's real name was. I told him but then was scared that he'd tell the big guy and that'd ruin the magic for the adult in the big red suit. I back-pedaled and refused to tell him again later when he said he'd forgotten.

He waited so patiently while Santa came down the steps. He patiently waited while other second cousins got called first.

And then it was his turn.

He got right up there and told the big guy in the red suit that he has been kind and good.

The big guy asked him what he wants for Christmas and he said a speaker stand and a speaker.

He thanked the big guy and opened his present.

A cash register, which he loved, and we all played grocery store for a little while (grocery store - not restaurant or toy store - only grocery store). But then he said, "Why didn't Santa give me what I asked for?"

Aha, this was my chance. So I explained once again that the big guy in the red suit isn't real so he doesn't magically give you just what you ask for.

But then, my dad won a Bluetooth shower speaker in the adult Pollyanna gift exchange. He wanted to know if Victor wanted it.

Did Victor want it?????????

That's what he asked the big guy in the red suit for. Of course he wanted it!

But it took him less than 24 hours to find the call button.

"Hello? Hello? John? Hello?......"

Oh dear....








No comments:

Post a Comment