Pages

Welcome to the KingZoo and Funny Farm, where we learn to live, laugh, and love together. Here you'll find snippets of life in our zoo, parenting tips we've learned along the way, reflections on shining God's light in this world, passions in the realm of orphan care, and our journey as parents of a visually impaired child with sensory processing disorder. Have fun!

Sunday, July 10, 2016

Search me

...or why I don't usually post on social media in response to current events...

Every few days or weeks, a major event occurs that makes the news. All of a sudden, posts spring up on all sides of the issue. I appreciate the diversity in my social media friends and knowing them as individuals, I can see where their varying opinions come from. A particular post might receive multiple positive comments, all in agreement with the poster or it might start a vicious and back-biting argument between friends of a friend of the cousin of the original poster, people who have never, and will never meet but feel safe enough to anonymously argue with someone about whose past or present life experiences they know nothing about. Data, often skewed to make a point, will be sited. Quotes lifted. Those who feed off of conflict sit back and smile. Others cringe. Those who count comments as points toward a prize feel like they have just met a new record. But no one is changed, especially not the causes of the current events which are often deeper than any of us could ever reach in our lifetime.

This is not to say that I don't know what's going on or that I don't have an opinion about current events or that I don't want to see change. No, the reason I pause before posting is because I'm not convinced that posting about current events changes anything, in the heart of the poster or in those who read it, and especially not in the situation at large. It might make me feel good for that moment. Maybe it will make me look good in front of social media land. But does it change anything in me, every moment of every day? For myself, I want to be more concerned about what is in my heart all the time, not just when an issue is at the forefront for 72 hours.

I want to find myself on my knees every single day praying,

"Search me, God, and know my heart;
    test me and know my anxious thoughts.
24 See if there is any offensive way in me,
    and lead me in the way everlasting.
Psalm 139: 23 - 24
It's easy to be a small person in a big problem and to take sides, point blame, and yet stay safely removed. It's easy to post or repost something in response to current events, but does it change my heart? If someone reads my post, will it adequately show what is in my heart? Probably not. More likely, it will mask the sin issues I really face. Will it change anyone's mind about me in the positive? Probably not although it might change their opinion negatively and that might not have even been my intention. And in the end, will anything change at all? No.

Search me, God, and know my heart. Show me my own sin issues and offensive ways - fear, worry, anger, bitterness, unforgiveness, selfishness, gluttony, etc. How has my heart contributed to my own  blind spots that keep me from doing something about the needs in front of me? And have I, either by omission or commission, contributed to the deeper issues that are at the root of the current events? Have I mishandled my finances, or my time, or my love in such a way that I am part of the problem? Search me, test me, and know me. Change me from the inside out.

See if there is any offensive way in me and lead me in the way everlasting; help me to make the necessary changes so that I can see the needs in front of me and do something about it. I can't personally or single-handedly change the world. Let's be honest, none of us can. My cute meme won't even change my small sphere of "friends" but seeing my changed heart might. Seeing my actions might. If God can help me change my heart, I can start to make a difference right in front of me. I can love my family better. I can love my neighbor better. I can better love each person with whom I come in contact - each moment of every day. I don't just want to care about a situation or a people group or an injustice while it is in the news, I want my life to reflect an ever-changing heart that cares and sacrificially makes a difference every single day.


No comments:

Post a Comment