Pages

Welcome to the KingZoo and Funny Farm, where we learn to live, laugh, and love together. Here you'll find snippets of life in our zoo, parenting tips we've learned along the way, reflections on shining God's light in this world, passions in the realm of orphan care, and our journey as parents of a visually impaired child with sensory processing disorder. Have fun!

Monday, February 8, 2016

Speaking of gerbils

The gerbil-loving gene comes through my side of the family although where I got it is beyond me. It certainly didn't come from either of my parents.

Somehow I got it in my head that I was going to raise gerbils. We talked to the owner of Duffy's Pet Shop and he assured us that he would buy back any baby gerbils we had. We took his word for it and I walked out of the pet shop with a male and a female - Tedi and Hazel.

I think that he did buy back that first litter and I walked out of the pet shop with something like $2/baby gerbil in my pocket.

But by the time I showed up with the next litter, he decided that he didn't need any more gerbils, leaving us with the task of finding gerbil owners ourselves.

This started a pattern whereby sometimes he would buy the gerbil babies and sometimes he wouldn't. But whether or not he was going to buy them, Tedi and Hazel kept playing tag at night and those little pencil erasers kept appearing in the cage meaning that I would have to find friends who could convince their parents that gerbils make great pets.

Thankfully, it all worked out and we somehow sold or placed all of Hazel's offspring. Of course there was that unfortunate time that I sold 2 female gerbils to a friend only to get a frantic call from her mother several months later because one of those females apparently was not and those little wiggly pencil erasers showed up in their cage one morning.

Ummmm, call Mr. Duffy? Maybe he'll buy them from you?

Hazel finally got tired of the whole gerbil baby selling business and started to eat her babies. She must have realized that I had a huge role to play in all of this because she also bit me leaving a scar that is still slightly visible today so that was the end of Cindy's gerbil selling business.

The End.

1 comment: