Pages

Welcome to the KingZoo and Funny Farm, where we learn to live, laugh, and love together. Here you'll find snippets of life in our zoo, parenting tips we've learned along the way, reflections on shining God's light in this world, passions in the realm of orphan care, and our journey as parents of a visually impaired child with sensory processing disorder. Have fun!

Friday, March 18, 2011

Teens!

It has always been our arrangement that I would parent the children until about middle school age, and then John would take over. He was, of course, the youth pastor who loved his job. I, on the other hand, was the youth pastor's wife who wanted to strangle the kids. I didn't know how I was ever going to get through the teen years with my own children. I figured it was better to let John take over at that point.

However, something happened through the years. I love my teens (and almost teen). I can honestly say that I am enjoying this age as much as all of the others. Recently I've been pondering how this happened. Just yesterday I read a quote that seems to answer my own question, at least at one level.

The quote, by William Kilpatrick (author of Why Johnny Can't Tell Right from Wrong), was this: "Of course we still love our children when they are nasty, whiny, disobedient, disrespectful, and selfish. But if that becomes their habitual behavior the love of even the best parents begins to wear thin. By contrast, children who are obedient, respectful, and considerate have our love not only because it is our duty to love them, but because it is a delight."

Thank you, my dearly loved teen-agers, for being obedient, respectful, and considerate. Additionally, thank you for being compassionate, encouraging, and wise. You are a delight!

No comments:

Post a Comment