Pages

Welcome to the KingZoo and Funny Farm, where we learn to live, laugh, and love together. Here you'll find snippets of life in our zoo, parenting tips we've learned along the way, reflections on shining God's light in this world, passions in the realm of orphan care, and our journey as parents of a visually impaired child with sensory processing disorder. Have fun!

Sunday, January 9, 2011

No excuses

"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ." (Mohandas Gandhi)

Ouch.

Did you see the made-for-TV movie, Change of Plans, last night? I probably wouldn't have watched it if my mom hadn't forwarded an article about it. According to the forwarded message, written by Dennis Rainey of FamilyLife, the movie would be pro-family, pro-children, and pro-adoption. Sounded good, all things that are dear to my heart, so I announced that it'd be showing in my room at 8.

I can just imagine how difficult this decision was for the boys: Chick flick with Mom or football in the basement? Girlie movie? Sports? Believe it or not, they chose athletics over real life movie. Go figure.

So Mariana and I watched the movie together. I didn't think it was the best movie ever made. Child social services do not respond and function like that. Believe me, I know. Lots of holes in the story and too-easy endings. However, the message of the movie (from its official website): to show how "fulfilling life can be when you look beyond your own plans and invest in the lives of others" is one that's also near and dear to me. It's the heart of Jesus' gospel. It's too bad that Wal-mart had to be the one to remind us why we're here.

It's the same message found in The Hole in our Gospel (Stearns) which I mentioned a few days ago. How many of us would be willing to take in four orphaned children, sacrificing your own plans in the process? We are called to life-changing, radical living. The world is watching. Are we ready to say a simple "yes" instead of "Yes, Lord. I'd love to do that for you. Just don't ask me to give up my home, my life-style, my job, my bank account, or my dog."

And it's not just about orphans. If God asks us to leave our job and our hometown, are we ready to pack up and go, no matter what others say? If God asks us to drop everything and start a non-profit, are we willing to do it, without holding onto our day job "just in case"? If God asks us to travel overseas, are we ready to go without excuse?

I'm talking to myself here, too. I've been asking myself these questions a lot. How often have I said, "God, I'll do whatever you want, but don't ask me to ....?" I'm trying to live with open arms and a broken heart, a heart that is broken with the things that break God's heart and open arms to welcome all who He sends. And it's not just about orphans. Really it's not. It's whatever passion God has put into your heart. How much could we say to the world around us if that is how we all truly lived? That's how Jesus lived. Wal-mart shouldn't have to remind us of that. I'm glad they did.

Hmmmm. I'm convicted.

"[Jesus] chose His followers to be the change - He chose you, and He chose me. We are the ones who will bring the good news to the poor, bind up the brokenhearted, and stand up for justice in a fallen world. We are the revolution. We are God's Plan A . . . and He doesn't have a Plan B." (Richard Stearns in The Hole in our Gospel)

No comments:

Post a Comment