Pages

Welcome to the KingZoo and Funny Farm, where we learn to live, laugh, and love together. Here you'll find snippets of life in our zoo, parenting tips we've learned along the way, reflections on shining God's light in this world, passions in the realm of orphan care, and our journey as parents of a visually impaired child with sensory processing disorder. Have fun!

Wednesday, December 30, 2020

Things that make you go hmmmmm...

Things that make you go hmmmmm..... Besides the obvious ones that you are somehow safe when packed like sardines in an airplane for several hours or more but not in church, school, or restaurants, or that you are safe in a crowd of any size while protesting and looting but at outdoor picnics or weddings you're only safe if you keep your guest list under an arbitrarily chosen number or that it's okay to attend private school, daycare, childcare centers, and after-school programs 5 days a week, but only safe in public school if it's for some type of hybrid design, or that big box stores are free of disease but mom-and-pop shops are not... Hmmmmmmmm...

I can try on a sweater in the middle of the store and put it back on the rack if I do not like it for some reason, but I cannot try on the same sweater in a fitting room because then we've somehow become disease spreaders. Then, if I choose to purchase the sweater, the cashier tells me that he's just been informed that he has to send the hanger with me rather than touch it to put it in his bin. Then he proceeds to stare at the sweater and hanger for a few minutes before saying, "I'm not sure how to fold a sweater on a hanger so..." he touches the hanger to remove it and put it in my bag. We exchange shrugs and he oh-so-brilliantly declares, "It's all for show anyway." I take my hanger and sweater home and touch both when I remove them from the bag. Hmmmmmmmm...

The same store insists that if I have to return my items (because not everything can be tried on in the middle of the store), I need to remove them from the bag and dispose of the bag "there", in the receptacle conveniently placed next to the returns desk so the cashier does not have to touch it. Presumably because they are afraid the bag might be covered in the virus? But not the clothes that I have obviously touched to try them on and when pulling them out of the bag, which the cashier is now touching as the item is being returned? Hmmmmmmm...

At the bank, I have to put my money or check into a bowl and pass it to the teller. Who then touches my money anyway when taking it out of the bowl. Hmmmmmmmmm...

At the grocery store, they have placed plastic over all of the credit card machines. "Why is there plastic on the credit card machine?" one could ask. The answer (which the cashier thinks is obvious), "So you don't touch the credit card machine." "Brilliant. But aren't we all touching the plastic when we click the green button?" Cashier: ...

Try it. You might only be able to see eyes but the look of the wheels turning is priceless. (But please be kind and gracious - the cashier did not make the rules) Hmmmmmmm...

My son (who refuses to wear a mask correctly although we have made progress in the actual "wearing" part) was originally told that he could only go to church if he wore a green sticker. Presumably so folks would know he's not wearing a mask and could be a living, breathing virus dispenser. But, on the first day, when they put the mask on his face instead of the green sticker, and he promptly put said mask below his nose, and later below his chin, he was somehow deemed safe and free of any virus. But another family was sent away because their children were not wearing masks and were somehow more dangerous than my son whose mask is almost always below his nose or chin? So the virus is spread through the chin but not the nose or mouth? Hmmmmmm...

Doctors, nurses, and other medical personnel beg and plead on social media to get everyone to wear masks and stay home and social distance, then post pictures on the same social media sites of their family gatherings and outings with friends where no one is masked or at home or socially distanced. I guess they follow the politician's logic, "It's only for thee and not for me." Hmmmmmm....

1 comment:

  1. I agree...so many contradictions. The plastic on the key pads does serve a purpose though. Well, it can. Many stores I've been to spray disinfectant on the plastic after each use. You couldn't do this directly onto the keypad without risking damage. I guess some places have taken the step of protecting the keypad, but haven't taken the step of disinfecting it.

    ReplyDelete