Pages

Welcome to the KingZoo and Funny Farm, where we learn to live, laugh, and love together. Here you'll find snippets of life in our zoo, parenting tips we've learned along the way, reflections on shining God's light in this world, passions in the realm of orphan care, and our journey as parents of a visually impaired child with sensory processing disorder. Have fun!

Wednesday, September 30, 2020

Be like Chase's mom

On a trip to the beach this summer, we experienced the true meaning of hospitality, thanks to Chase's mom, and it touched me more than she will ever know. 

I only ever met Chase's mom that one time; the same for Chase. However, I can tell you, based on that encounter, that Chase is going to grow up to be the kind of person who puts others first.

Victor wanted to go on rides at the boardwalk's amusement park. We told him he'd have to wear a mask. He promised he would. Until the mask went on. And immediately went onto his neck. Technically, to him, he was wearing a mask. Technically, to the masses, he was now a leper radiating germs and illness. However, no one said anything so we trekked on. 

We got to one of his favorite rides and he wanted me to ride with him. It was going to be a tight squeeze, but I got in line with him.

That's when Chase's mom approached me. Would my son like to ride with Chase? Chase was seated alone and clearly old enough to ride alone. "I think Chase and my son would fit better than an adult and child." Then, fearing she had offended me, added, "Not that I think you won't fit."

She needn't have worried. I barely heard that last part. What I heard was, "I don't care that your son is obviously blind and carrying a cane. I don't care that he's not wearing his mask properly. I care that he's included."

Chase and Victor did ride together and had a great time. Victor felt like a normal kids who made a new friend. I felt like a mom who was allowed to take her child in public even if he didn't fit in.

In a world of moms teaching their children to fear, ridicule, and spew at those who don't fit in, be like Chase's mom. You could renew someone's hope for humanity. You could help someone retain or regain their own humanity. And you will teach all the Chases of this world to do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment