Pages

Welcome to the KingZoo and Funny Farm, where we learn to live, laugh, and love together. Here you'll find snippets of life in our zoo, parenting tips we've learned along the way, reflections on shining God's light in this world, passions in the realm of orphan care, and our journey as parents of a visually impaired child with sensory processing disorder. Have fun!

Tuesday, November 19, 2019

Perspective is everything

The email came yesterday morning, just two hours after I made a public plea, "No emails from the school this week, please." Not really wanting to read more bad news, I just skimmed it.

"I wanted to provide you with a brief update..."

"...happened during arrival today..."

"...behavior appeared erratic..."

Oh no. What did he do now?

I decided I needed to read the rest. No matter what it said. Better to get it over with. This time I read the email word-for-word. No skimming. No skipping.

Turns out there was an individual in the school (not my son!) displaying erratic behavior. Police were called. Staff and students were safe. Just letting you know.

I laughed. Howled, even. It's okay, no one was around. Lest I appear callous, you need to understand. Emails from the principal usually involve spitting, perceived bad words, and of course, my son.

An intruder? Phtt. All of the other parents were at that very moment shooting up (bad word choice, I know, but "blowing up" didn't seem all that better) social media, trying to decide the best helicopter move: ...Should I run over to the school to grab my child?...Would it be best if I just take all of my kids out of their individual schools for the day? The whole week?...My kids go to school 1500 miles from this incident I just read on my friend's timeline but nothing is safe anymore and you just can't be too cautious, I best excuse my kids from school for the rest of the day, right?

But over here? I was just glad it wasn't another email about my child.

Sounds like a good reason to keep all the kids in school and go out for ice cream to celebrate. Alone.

Perspective is everything.






No comments:

Post a Comment