Pages

Welcome to the KingZoo and Funny Farm, where we learn to live, laugh, and love together. Here you'll find snippets of life in our zoo, parenting tips we've learned along the way, reflections on shining God's light in this world, passions in the realm of orphan care, and our journey as parents of a visually impaired child with sensory processing disorder. Have fun!

Friday, January 27, 2017

One glorious week

The Good Doctor took Victor to Florida for a week. Some women like flowers (they die - the flowers, not the women) and some like jewelry (but there are children who need homes). I like alone time. So this was a good thing.

But then he brought Victor home.

He has been home less than 24 hours and this morning I've already  changed his underwear 5 times.

Poop 2
Pee 3
Cindy 0.

Nothing like a week of vacation to put you back to square one.

But let's look at the positive side.

I've completed (all but hand sewing the binding, which I can do with Victor in tow) 3 quilts; 1 picnic/throw blanket size and 2 baby quilts. I cleared all the mending off the sewing chair except for one shirt that was too far gone and a pair of pants that I still can't remember why they were there. And that was all in the first 3 days because after that there were men working in the basement and I would have been in their way (and they in mine). I cleaned out the laundry room and HopeAnne's room (the latter took 2 days). I've had daily uninterrupted time for devotions and Bible study preparation. I spent two wonderful days with my very mature 12 year old since she had those days off from school. We went to Color Me Mine, attended her parent/teacher conference, watched another food documentary (if that girl isn't a teacher some day, she is most likely going to be a nutritionist; she loves her food and nutrition documentaries!). I was able to finally schedule PT for a heel/tendon issue that has resurfaced since surgery corrected it in high school. And then I went to the Y to run and undo all that they had done (in my defense, they did not say that I couldn't run). In fact, I got to the Y a total of 4 days while they were gone; joining the retired folks making that trek around the track. That doesn't happen when Victor is home; he's not exactly YMCA childcare material. I think (but I lost count) I had chai every day except one and went to the same coffee shop three days in a row as I had lunch with 2 friends and coffee/chai with another. I took 2 different children to the orthodontist on 2 separate days and didn't have to entertain Victor in the waiting room. I set up and facilitated (with Eden in John's place) the first Victorious Hope Adoption Consulting training/support session. It was the perfect start to our almost-monthly meetings with an engaging and encouraging speaker who spoke on the topic of caring for the biological children in our homes when brining in kids from places of trauma. I picked up Shoun from swimming. Some days he was there on time. Some days he wasn't. And some days he put "practice" on the calendar but it was really a meet so I went to pick him up twice; one false alarm and once for realsies.

So after putting things into perspective, what's 5 pairs of soiled underwear when compared to all that?

Don't answer.

But on a lighter note, I did enjoy one more Victor-ism after a week without:

Me: Victor, I'm not very happy that you had another accident. I never said I wanted to have children so that I could clean poop off their butts. Not ever. This is not why I wanted to be a parent. Did you know that?

Victor (clearly not understanding the definition of a rhetorical question, very seriously answered): No, I did not.

Now he knows. We'll see if it makes a difference.

And the Good Doctor did obey my command to not set foot inside the front door until at least 4PM. He even took a detour through Washington, D.C. just to make sure that wouldn't happen. And when he arrived home at 3:55 PM, he told HopeAnne and Victor to play outside for 5 minutes. I let them in at 3:56. Close enough.








No comments:

Post a Comment