Pages

Welcome to the KingZoo and Funny Farm, where we learn to live, laugh, and love together. Here you'll find snippets of life in our zoo, parenting tips we've learned along the way, reflections on shining God's light in this world, passions in the realm of orphan care, and our journey as parents of a visually impaired child with sensory processing disorder. Have fun!

Saturday, April 30, 2016

12 children

I recently had the opportunity to speak with a woman who has 12 children, 9 of whom are adopted. She is one of the women who I would say influenced who I am today and the family that I have. Two of her adopted daughters were in my class in school and as her family was an anomaly in the community, everyone knew of them.

She was in the audience at a program we gave. When The Good Doctor got around to his usual, ..."we know that not every family is called to foster or adopt, or have a large family, or to have a family band...anyone here do any of these things?" I knew he was in for a surprise this time. Sure enough, she raised her hand and with a big smile told him of her family and her 12 children.

After the program, she had her assistant push her wheelchair over to me where I was delighted to chat with her for a bit.  Together, we talked about what we've learned, her having much more experience (with her 30+ grandchildren, 20+ great-grandchildren, and 2 great-great grandchildren) than me...

We are thankful that God is going to one day say, "Well done my good and faithful servant," not "Well done my good and successful servant."

Sometimes when we pray that God will change a child and his actions, God responds that I am the one who needs to change.

When God calls you and you trust His plan for your life, your obedience will be blessed but not in the ways the world might think.

Joy comes through obedience, no matter the trials.

It was so good to see her smile as she talked about her family. It truly did brighten her whole, frail face. I know her road has not been easy but the joy of her Lord has clearly been her strength.

I pray that someday the same will be said of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment