Pages

Welcome to the KingZoo and Funny Farm, where we learn to live, laugh, and love together. Here you'll find snippets of life in our zoo, parenting tips we've learned along the way, reflections on shining God's light in this world, passions in the realm of orphan care, and our journey as parents of a visually impaired child with sensory processing disorder. Have fun!

Friday, October 19, 2012

Of loaves and fishes and checks

Mark 9:24  I do believe!  Help me overcome my unbelief!

There is a story of George Muller's orphanage in the late 1800's.  One morning as the children sat down to breakfast, there was no food on the table.  In faith, George prayed for the provision of food that God had given them.  Soon there came a knock at the door and it was a local baker.  He told George and the waiting staff and children that God had instructed him to bake bread and donate it to the orphanage so he was doing so.  Not long after that, another knock came at the door.  It was a milkman, explaining that his milk truck had broken down outside the door and that he wanted to give some of his milk to the orphanage.

This is one of my favorite stories of faith.  I've often prayed that God would give me these kinds of stories but at the same time realized that I would need to be in a place of need to experience these miraculous provisions in faith.  Just like the 5,000 who, in Jesus' day, were fed on the mountain. Had they been sent home for lunch, or if someone had provided their food for the day, they would not have been witness to the multiplication of that simple lunch, enough for one, and of the bountiful baskets left over.  So I've also prayed that God would allow me to be in those places of need so that I and my family could experience not only the miracle that comes from faith but the left-over as well.

Recently in the adoption journey, we received the home study invoice a little earlier than we were expecting.  Desiring to pay for this adoption from our fundraising, we weren't at a place where we could pay the bill.  The next day we did receive a check from a family wanting to help with our adoption.  It was out of the blue, so unexpected, and such a God thing.  But it didn't cover the whole amount.  That night I went to bed praying that God would provide the funds that weren't there yet.

The next day we were approached by a couple holding an envelope in their hands.  They said that they felt like God wanted them to bless our family and they were giving us this gift with no strings attached; it was ours to use as we wished.  I asked them if they knew that we were adopting again and with surprised looks, the confirmed that they did not.  I couldn't help a tear of joy as I told them about our journey, about the invoice, and my prayer.  They then confessed that they had felt this nudging this past summer but were just now getting around to sharing this with us.  I told them that I thought the timing was perfect.  Of course, when we got home and looked at the amount on the check (you already know this is coming, don't you?), the amount, coupled with the check from the day before was the the exact amount we needed to pay the agency doing our home study.  For days, anytime I thought of this miraculous provision, the tears would freely flow.  How can anyone say that is a coincidence?  As I like to say to myself, "Oh, me of little faith."

And God wasn't finished, we also received a third check from a family wanting to be a part of our adoption journey.  And then another cookie order came in.  Just like the loaves and fishes, there were baskets left over.  And so we continue to fundraise for this little blessing that we know is a gift from God.  He will provide just what we need, when we need it.  And when I doubt, I can remind myself of the story of the multiplying checks.

Deuteronomy 4:9  Only be careful, and watch yourselves closely so that you do not forget the things your eyes have seen or let them fade from your heart as long as you live.  Teach them to your children and to their children after them.








No comments:

Post a Comment