Pages

Welcome to the KingZoo and Funny Farm, where we learn to live, laugh, and love together. Here you'll find snippets of life in our zoo, parenting tips we've learned along the way, reflections on shining God's light in this world, passions in the realm of orphan care, and our journey as parents of a visually impaired child with sensory processing disorder. Have fun!

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

37 days, 17 hours, and 13 minutes

And there then was . . .

Christmas 2000 - "Gifts Fit for a King"



This was the final installment in the King pun series and shared a little about each family member while remembering the gifts that were brought to Jesus when visited by the Magi. Some things never change as a line from 2000 so aptly shows: "Jesse has a knack for making others laugh . . ."

Christmas 2001



This is my personal favorite and the winner of the 2009 WordFM Christmas Card Contest (they didn't say it had to be a recent Christmas card; I checked the website numerous times before submitting it). We took lines from this carol and applied them to our life. A little sampling -

"Deck the Halls with Boughs of Holly . . . or fingerprints, crayon marks, drawings or any other variation of handiwork.

Tis the Season to be Jolly . . . Our year actually started out with the birth of 'Jolly'. Isaac, which means 'laughter', was born on January 22.

See the Blazing Yule Before Us . . . We don't have a fireplace but Jesse says we should. He says we need it to catch the Big Bad Wolf should he happen to come huffing and puffing around our house.

Strike the Harp and Join the Chorus . . . Well, no one plays the harp in the King household but Andrew has been playing the violin since January and Jesse just started this fall. Andrew loves it and we enjoy his progress. He even played God is So Good at our Thanksgiving Eve service and O Come Little Children in December. Jesse insists the drums are more his style but we've convinced him to stick with the violin at least until he gets a little older.

(2010 Note: See how that one turned out?)

Sing We Joyous All Together . . . We aren't always singing, and we're not always as joyous as we should be, but we're thankful that we are all together. We are so blessed to be a family and we enjoy making memories that will stay with each of us forever. A big thank you to each of you who have helped make our year a special one.

Heedless of the Wind and Weather . . . I guess this is what you could say about Mariana when, one day in November, she asked if she could wear her bathing suit to her aunt's house so she could go swimming. It's so hard to think logically when you're three!

We'd love to share more about our family and our year but we've run out of verses!"

Christmas 2002 - "Have You Herd the Good News?"



I don't know if PhotoShop had been invented yet. If it had, we had no idea what it was. We did, however, go on a road trip to Idaho where the kids posed on a statue of a buffalo. We also have a creative and gifted sister-in-law who worked her magic with that buffalo photo and one with a herd of cattle. Each child contributed to his/her own section of this letter. And no, it didn't announce an up-coming King birth. These were the seminary years. We took a break.

Again, a sampling -

"Have YOU heard the good news . . .

from Andrew? I played violin in 3 weddings this year. One was in Idaho. We rode in a motor home all the way to Idaho...In September I rode more than 75 miles in the MS150...I bought a snake in April named Cornelia...

(2010 Note: We still have Cornelia)

from Jesse? Thank you, God for helping me swim in swimming lessons. Thank you, Jesus, for coming into my heart. Thank you that I could play baseball...Thank you that we could go to Dinosaur National Monument...Thank you that I lost my first tooth and that I have a new tooth growing up.

from Mariana? ...God is helping me play the violin by myself without any help. God helps me read...I was in a TV commerical.

from Isaac? (by Mommy) ... I am changing from a toddler to a little boy with my own personality. Trying to keep up with my siblings has given me a number of scrapes and close calls (like a big skid mark on my nose!) but I am blessed to have such wonderful plymates. Even though I'm little they take time to play with me and to teach me new things (although I could really do without being dressed up as a girl by them!"


Little did we know what the next year was going to hold, beginning just a month after those letters went out . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment