Pages

Welcome to the KingZoo and Funny Farm, where we learn to live, laugh, and love together. Here you'll find snippets of life in our zoo, parenting tips we've learned along the way, reflections on shining God's light in this world, passions in the realm of orphan care, and our journey as parents of a visually impaired child with sensory processing disorder. Have fun!

Tuesday, May 17, 2022

Trust

Victor is known for his questions. 2,461 questions every single day. He can ask more questions in a minute than the number of breaths most people take in that same amount of time. These questions can range from needing more information about an everyday object that we can see but he can't, to your opinion on some random Star Wars trivia, to personal and private information that one would never tell another soul, let alone a 9 year old with no sense of personal boundaries.

So I should not have been surprised when Victor's out-of-the-blue question while we were running errands the other day was, "Mom, do you have anything that you need to work on?" 

I guess he thought he was the only one with issues.

I used to tell my kids that we all have issues and some of us have a full subscription, but since no one has magazine subscriptions anymore, the younger half of the King crowd just looks at me blankly when I say that.

I told him that yes, I have plenty of issues that I need to work on. I should have known the next question.

"Like what?"

To his credit, he seemed genuinely surprised that I would have issues. I must be doing something right if there is at least a part of him that thinks I don't have any room for improvement. During a good moment, of course. Any other time, I'm the worst human being around.

So I listed a few things that I thought would be safe in his head, knowing that these statements could easily be spouted off to random strangers when I least expect it, and when he is upset that I didn't allow him to do something he wanted to do.

And then I said, "And I need to trust God more."

Again, he was shocked. He responded, "But I thought you are very good at that."

"I'm honored that you think I'm doing a good job in that department, and it is true that I've come a long way from panic attacks and oppressive anxiety. However, Buddy, this is a lifelong journey of learning to trust God for everything, the little things and the big ones."

I refrained from adding, "And I'm pretty sure you are God's gift to me, to teach me that which I lack in the area of trust."

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will make your paths straight. Proverbs 3:5-6

No comments:

Post a Comment