Pages

Welcome to the KingZoo and Funny Farm, where we learn to live, laugh, and love together. Here you'll find snippets of life in our zoo, parenting tips we've learned along the way, reflections on shining God's light in this world, passions in the realm of orphan care, and our journey as parents of a visually impaired child with sensory processing disorder. Have fun!

Monday, May 23, 2022

Almost birthday buddies

I always write a post when it is my child's birthday. It might just be "Happy Birthday!" and a picture or two. It might be more, but I'm really not into sap or sentimentality. It might be in the morning and it might need to wait until the end of the day for me to find the time. I even have to admit to not getting around to it until the next day once or twice or maybe more.

Mariana's 24th birthday was on Saturday and I had a post all ready to go. Until somebody messed up that post by deciding to wait another 24 hours to appear.
When I first got the call on Friday morning that it was time to head east for a delivery, I thought that I had mistakenly set my phone to a school day wake up. But when I rolled over to turn off the alarm, I realized that it was Mariana and Jake calling, not an alarm. When I arrived, we talked about the possibility of a Birthday Buddy for Mariana, assuming that this first baby would take a long time to arrive, and giving him two days to make the journey.
Well, we were right about "a long time" but we were so wrong about the day! Mariana and Jake soldiered through at home and then at the birthing center. It was a joy to watch the two of them in this miraculous process of bringing my grandson into this world. Mariana was so in tune with her body, Jake was so in tune with her, and I assisted as needed. I think we made a great team!
As Friday turned into Saturday and Saturday turned into Sunday, it was difficult to watch their discouragement and exhaustion, but they hung in there. We had some tense moments when it looked like they might be sent to the hospital, but God intervened each time and allowed them the birth they had desired (minus the length!).
At 11:34PM last night, I wondered if we were going to see another day arrive before the little guy, but he finally took that eviction notice seriously, and entered this world at 11:47PM on 5-22-22. His mom forevermore can tell him that he owes her some pretty awesome birthday gifts to make up for the one where he refused to cooperate.


Mariana Christine, you gave me great joy the day you were born, and another kind of joy the day (okay, three days) you and Jake allowed me to join you in this most miraculous of journeys.
Luka Joseph, you are so welcome and loved already. You have great parents, an army of extended family members, and an awesome cloud of witnesses to love you, to shepherd you, to teach you about your Savior, and to watch you grow in favor with God and man. Thank you for the joy and honor of witnessing your three-day journey, and celebrating this day with the three of you.



Team Baby Kurtz
Go Team!

No comments:

Post a Comment