Pages

Welcome to the KingZoo and Funny Farm, where we learn to live, laugh, and love together. Here you'll find snippets of life in our zoo, parenting tips we've learned along the way, reflections on shining God's light in this world, passions in the realm of orphan care, and our journey as parents of a visually impaired child with sensory processing disorder. Have fun!

Thursday, January 9, 2020

Word

It's that time of year again when people are posting about their word for the new year. Well, actually, it's past time. I'm late. But I have been thinking about it since before the calendar and the year changed. The same word came to me each time I thought or prayed about it. But I didn't want that word. It's so ordinary but also feel accusatory and judgmental. It makes me feel inadequate to need this word. It reminds me that I don't have all my stuff together.

Which, of course, I don't. None of us does.

"The object of a new year is not that we should have a new year. 
It is that we should have a new soul."
-G.K. Chesterton

Sometime around the first of the year I saw this quote. How does one get to be the kind of person who is quoted, by the way? Just wondering. For a friend.

Anyway, he's right. So if my word for the year means a new soul, then I really just need to embrace it.

My word for 2020 is self-control.

There, I said it. It's official. I can't change it now. It's out there for all to see and to hold me accountable.

"Self-control is the very best way to go
so I think that I'll control myself."

Ever since hearing this word was my word for 2020, this stupid (sorry, Victor, I'll re-do) cheesy phrase from a childhood song (anyone else remember the Music Machine songs about the Fruit of the Spirit? Sounds so easy.

But it's not. So here I am going into 2020 with a lack of self-control in certain areas of my life, praying for Jesus to step in and help me grow in this area so that in 365 days (give or take a few), I can look back and say that yes, I did indeed gain a new soul in the first year of the new decade.


No comments:

Post a Comment