Pages

Welcome to the KingZoo and Funny Farm, where we learn to live, laugh, and love together. Here you'll find snippets of life in our zoo, parenting tips we've learned along the way, reflections on shining God's light in this world, passions in the realm of orphan care, and our journey as parents of a visually impaired child with sensory processing disorder. Have fun!

Friday, January 12, 2018

Transitions

Transition. Change. Some of us handle "new" and the as-of-yet unknown with fear and trepidation. Some transitions are easier than others. The support of those around us can make all the difference.

Twenty five+ years of marriage and nine children will give you plenty of transitions. Each has been a learning experience and an opportunity to grow in trust. Do I truly trust that God is good and always has the best for me? Even when those around me don't celebrate God's plan?

When someone close to us tells us that God has called them to something else, we can respond with fear and anger, implying that our needs are greater than God's or that He can't possibly have something good in store for all of us. As Christ followers, the better response is to support and bless and to see God's hand in every aspect of every change, for all who are affected. God is a good God and His ways are good for all who trust Him.

We feel the support and blessing and we are thankful for our friends and family, especially our church family.

Looking forward to this time of transition and what it means for the Good Doctor, for me, for us, and for our family.

Here is our big news, in the Good Doctor's own words:


Big changes coming for me...
To all of my family and friends both near and far:
Around 20 years ago, I was a young pastor and a young father getting my feet wet when a church leader challenged me to write a life mission statement for myself. Since then, this mission statement has guided me in many ways, particularly in making career decisions. Almost 15 years ago, I made a decision to come to McBIC based on this mission statement. And while it has changed slightly over the years, the basic message has stayed the same:
My long-term goal is to leave behind a legacy of pastors, counselors, Kingdom-builders, and especially children who are committed to expanding the Kingdom of God in this world.
With this in mind, I am excited to share about a new transition in my life. I recently accepted a new position of Assistant Professor of Counseling at Liberty University Online as a Core Faculty Member. Let me share a few details about this development and how it will impact my church family, my own family, and me.
• I will be teaching graduate counseling students for their M.A. degree online. This means that except for one week a year in Lynchburg, VA, I will be working locally, with my office either at McBIC or at home. I will have responsibilities in teaching 11 classes for an 11-month position.
• This will allow me the flexibility to stay part-time at McBIC Church and do a lot of counseling work with our recovery community and people connected to McBIC. It will also allow me the flexibility to work anywhere in the world in the future.
• This position will also allow me the flexibility to write, do research, and speak at conferences, churches, and other organizations on things that I am passionate about: orphan care, the transition to healthy manhood, counseling issues, and supervising counselors, among other things. I will also be more available to speak on Sunday mornings.
• It will allow me more flexibility to be at home during the day and allow Cindy the opportunity to get more involved in officially working outside the home for the first time in 23 years starting this next fall.
• I will be transitioning my time commitments with McBIC during the next few months through April 1 (Easter Sunday), and then working with Pastor Layne and the staff as I set my personal and professional boundaries in place for my part-time role at the church.
• As Pastor Layne and I have talked about this transition, I am honestly excited about the long-term potential impact that this will have for McBIC. One of the major things that I am praying for in this transition is that the Kingdom of God will continue to expand through the ministry footprint of McBIC. Over the next year or so, Pastor Layne and the pastoral staff will be praying about potential staffing changes that my new role at McBIC can mean for the church. I am very confident that Pastor Layne will lead our team and the church well. And I am very pleased to continue to partner with him in a part-time role.
For many of you, I have known you and partnered with you in work and/or ministry for many years and have found great joy and fulfillment in that. Many of you reading this are part of my family and extended family, and you have seen our family grow and expand over the years to where we are now. For others, you have known me from my childhood years and watched me grow and develop academically, socially, and relationally. And for others, we have been friends and colleagues through my student work at Bluffton University, Kutztown University, Biblical Seminary, and Regent University. To all of you I say “thank you” for your support and prayers for my family and me as we enter this time of transition. I look forward to connecting with many of you over the next months. May God richly bless you.
In Christ,
John King

1 comment: