Pages

Welcome to the KingZoo and Funny Farm, where we learn to live, laugh, and love together. Here you'll find snippets of life in our zoo, parenting tips we've learned along the way, reflections on shining God's light in this world, passions in the realm of orphan care, and our journey as parents of a visually impaired child with sensory processing disorder. Have fun!

Saturday, August 26, 2017

My two sons

Yes, I am well aware of the fact that I have more than two sons. But for 3 wonderful days, spending more than 18 hours driving, it was just me and my two sons. For 3 days I could forget that there was chaos and stress and rejection at home. For 3 days I could suppress the reality of what I would return to: dishes in the sink, chores not done, attitudes, and the hard work of parenting. For 3 days I could bask in the joy of two grown men who I used to hold in my arms and wonder about their futures. Because for 3 days, we drove to and from Kentucky while helping Andrew move into his first apartment.

They no longer look like this. The hair is shorter. They've cut off the curls. They no longer aspire to be super heroes (or do they?). But they each still have a great sense of humor. And we enjoyed time and conversation together.

They made fun of my commitment to rules.

No more than 5 miles over the speed limit, boys.
But Mom, we just got passed by a lady with a covering!
I don't care. I refuse to get my first-ever speeding ticket just because I was trying to follow you.

They are responsible, polite, caring, and helpful. They love the Lord and they love their mother. And aren't afraid to say it.  They even thanked me.

We toured Andrew's new office building, the Kentucky Capitol, and saw his office and desk. We met his co-workers who all affirmed what we already knew, I have a great son who just finished an internship with the Governor and who was then offered a full-time job. Andrew even let me take a photo of him with his office door. I'm a mom. I'm supposed to embarrass my children.

We ate meat at a Brazilian Steakhouse thanks to Andrew's former job and his former boss who offered him one last chance to use his employee discount. And while the boys were reveling in unlimited, tasty cuts of meat, I cornered them with a talk about marriage. Once they got over their shock and embarrassment, they were polite listeners and humored me doing my Mom duty.

We spent time in Ollie's and Wal-mart, getting all of those important first apartment items. My boys didn't let me down, never missing an opportunity to rearrange the merchandise. Shopping with them is always a treat.

We left Andrew early this morning with a fridge stocked with the most important items, and an apartment well on its way to becoming a comfortable first home and bachelor pad.

On the way home, Jesse carried out his self-proclaimed most important task, he forced me to eat my very first meal from Taco Bell.

And after arriving home, while getting to work on that sink full of dishes, I thanked the Lord for three wonderful days with two godly young men.

No comments:

Post a Comment