Pages

Welcome to the KingZoo and Funny Farm, where we learn to live, laugh, and love together. Here you'll find snippets of life in our zoo, parenting tips we've learned along the way, reflections on shining God's light in this world, passions in the realm of orphan care, and our journey as parents of a visually impaired child with sensory processing disorder. Have fun!

Saturday, March 13, 2021

March 13

 We figured out that not only are Andrew and Sarah's birthdays a day apart, but they were born pretty close to exactly 24 hours apart.

The little trip down memory lane brought up memories of the day that made me a mom. 

Memories of an OB/GYN who finally took my pain and symptoms seriously and after being recommended by the only other doctor who had taken me seriously, said, "I think you might have endometriosis. Let's get a surgery scheduled to confirm."

Memories of that same doctor who with care and compassion did indeed confirm that diagnosis and who shared with us that we may never have biological children but that if it was going to happen, it was going to have to happen soon.

And that same doctor who continued to walk with us through that infertility journey, who agreed to put me on a fertility drug, but only for 6 months since it was going to exacerbate my endometriosis. The same doctor who confirmed a pregnancy after the last dose of that medication.

The same doctor who said that he wanted to be there for my delivery, whether or not he was on call, but who warned that a Monday could be difficult because it was his day off.

Memories of a labor that lasted beyond Sunday into - you guessed it - Monday, the doctor's day off. But since my chart said to call him when I was in labor, they called him and he came in his jeans and sunglasses. 

The same doctor who said that if I didn't deliver by 3:00, he'd need to leave as he needed to pick his son up from school. The same son that I had had as a student a year prior. They same son who didn't get picked up on time that day because - you guessed it - Andrew John King was born soon after 3:00. The nurse took the call for him soon after delivery, "Ummm, the school is calling. Your son is waiting for you..."

And memories of a baby who came out eyes wide open, quietly checking out his surroundings. A baby who would change lives through storytelling. A baby who would see the world through the lens of a camera. A baby who would change our lives for the better and make me what I had always dreamed of being - a  mom.


Happy birthday, Andrew!

No comments:

Post a Comment