Pages

Welcome to the KingZoo and Funny Farm, where we learn to live, laugh, and love together. Here you'll find snippets of life in our zoo, parenting tips we've learned along the way, reflections on shining God's light in this world, passions in the realm of orphan care, and our journey as parents of a visually impaired child with sensory processing disorder. Have fun!

Friday, February 23, 2018

God sees you

This is for my friends who are parenting children with special needs, children from places of trauma, or children with mental illness. Sometimes it's all of the above.

No, I'm not saying that parenting in general isn't difficult. But today, I'm reminded just how much more difficult it is to parent where there's more than meets the untrained eye.

This morning we met with the special education team in our district for Victor's transition to kindergarten meeting. What an amazing school district we are in. This isn't our first rodeo with members of this team and we've said the same thing after each encounter. However, this morning it was glaringly obvious to me that Victor is exactly where God wants him to be, in this home, in this community, in this school district.

During a time when Victor's behaviors are out-of-control at home and preschool and no one can put their finger on the exact cause for this turn or what to do, I needed that reminder. I'm not perfect but God knew my weaknesses. Yet He gave Victor to me anyway. There was a purpose and a plan. Every detail of Victor's life was orchestrated by One who knows so much more than I can ever imagine. Including bringing him to this community and these schools. Including making me Victor's mom.

And that is the word I want to share with my fellow travelers this morning. You were chosen for this child. You were chosen for this task. None of us were chosen because we had what we needed for the job. None of us can do it on our own. And that's the point exactly.

As I prayed for wisdom in Victor's specific situation, these words came loud and clear from my Comforter:

Stand firm. Persevere. Don't give up. Don't grow weary.

Let us know become weary in doing good, 
for at the proper time we will reap a harvest 
if we do not give up. 
Galatians 6:9

This verse has been one of my go-tos in recent years, when I need strength and encouragement. Oh, how often I want to give up. If the Good Doctor had a quarter for every time I've told him that I quit. I'm done.  I don't want to do this anymore...

Ask him what kind of vacation we'd finally take with all that money (alone!) or what kind of house remodeling projects we'd start.

But this morning I also looked up verses with "stand firm". I was surprised (but not surprised, really), to find that many of these references are within passages about Satan. So, special mamas, let us stand firm. Let us deflect Satan's arrows of disappointment, depression, despair, and doom. Let us stand firm in His promises, love, and strength.

But thanks be to God!
He gives us the victory
through our Lord Jesus Christ.
Therefore, my dear brothers, stand firm.
Let nothing move you.
Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord,
because you know that your labor in the Lord
is not in vain.
1 Cor. 15: 57 - 58

And if you aren't parenting a child with special needs?  Then maybe today you can encourage one who is. A letter (a real, paper and pen, letter!) to say you care and you see what a great job she is doing. A cup of coffee to bring physical strength to one more day. An offer of a night out for adult conversation or babysitting so she can enjoy a rare date night. Because just after Galatians 6:9 tells us not to grow weary, it instructs us to encourage others along the way:

Therefore, as we have opportunity,
let us do good to all people,
especially to those who belong 
to the family of believers.
Galatians 6:10

God sees. And we do, too. Stand firm.

2 comments:

  1. This... I needed it. And it made me cry. Thank you God..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Cindy. I really needed this today. I really appreciate your encouragement.

    ReplyDelete